Razorback IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, complete NOOB here. I bought a beer starter kit in January that included the Razorback IPA kit. I built myself a brew fridge and followed all the instructions setting the temperature at 22 degrees C (instructions said between 20-25) and after about 24 hours it was like a volcano was erupting. There was froth and foam pouring from the airlock and it was everywhere. I cleaned it all up and washed the airlock using sanitiser and put everything back. I then had to do the same another couple of times over the next few days. Everything calmed down eventually and after two weeks and two consecutive SG readings of 1009 over 24 hours I bottled it all on 9th February with a teaspoon measurement of sugar in each bottle. It went into a wardrobe in my bedroom at around 21 degrees for two weeks and then into the shed at about 12 degrees. After a week in the shed I tried a bottle. Yuk, it had the most bitter after taste I’ve ever tasted. Honestly, I’m not one to chuck a beer away but this was totally undrinkable. I realise this brew was at the absolute minimum timing for drinking according to the instructions and have read in so many places that bottle conditioned home brew gets better if left longer so left it be. I have now tried a bottle every week since, the last one being yesterday (7th April) but I really cant see any improvement. I’m gutted. Now I don’t know what to do. A subsequent brew of a Simply Mild has come out very well and I now have a premium Lager on which will need bottling in a week or so. I can either stick with the Razorback in the hope it eventually comes good and buy another 40 bottles for the Lager or chuck it and save the bottle money. What shall I do?

So a few questions - is it acidic or bitter? If its bitter, I would put in the fridge and leave for about 4 weeks

Hmmm, that's a good question. I'm not really sure if I'm honest. it just has a really sharp twangy aftertaste. I'm happy to post a bottle off for someone to test/taste if it will help me find out whether or not I should keep hold of it.

Do you have a pH meter? If you do, open a bottle, pour some into a shallow plastic container, measure the pH, and leave it out for 24hrs, and then check again, if the pH is dropping there is a very good sign it may be an infection. As an aside some easy identifiers for you to understand how to articulate what you are tasting - https://www.beercraftr.com/detecting-off-flavors/ If its not that, then I would leave it in a fridge for 4 weeks and try again.

It might be the dreaded "Home Brew Twang" its often discussed here - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/homebrew-twang.68929/

As Terry says in the thread -
Homebrew twang has been attributed to
- using table sugar
- using liquid malt extract rather than grain
- cheap kits
- not enough conditioning
- use of tap water
- yeast used

My first kit was also a Razorback and I got homebrew tang. In my case it was more medicinal than bitter.
My later brews haven’t had it as much since I started using sodium metabisulphate (Camden powder) to treat my water for chloramines.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, it may be medicinal. It’s certainly not drinkable at the moment and it can’t see that it can be saved by time to be honest.
I’m not sure what went wrong. I used ASDA spring water too. I can only think it may have got infected whilst the volcano effect was going on during fermentation.
Will test the PH as soon as my papers arrive and decide then what to do I think.

I’m wondering if this may well be a case of homebrew twang. The Razorback, being my first brew, was fermented at 24 degrees (instructions said 20-25). I’ve since had two other home brews which I fermented at just 21 degrees, a Simply Mild kit which I made with 1kg brew enhancer and a Simply Pale ale kit which was made with 1kg brewing sugar, 500g muntons Hopped dry spray malt and dry hopped with 25g US cascade pellets 4 days before bottling. All three were kept at 20 degrees for two weeks after bottling and then moved to the shed (approx 12 degrees day 4 degrees night). Thing is, that after taste from the razor back is also evident in the other brews albeit so very slightly it is more like a mild bitter taste and certainly does doesn’t spoil the brew. The same flavour from the razorback is just so intense it’s not at all pleasant. The thing is, if this is the homebrew twang, is this something that’s likely to reduce over time? I bottled it 7 weeks ago now and it’s still really bad. I just need some advice as to whether or not it’s worth keeping.

I know. Saddens me but i try one every week in hope but still no good. I suppose I should just stick it away and forget about it for a bit and wait until it either comes good or I need the bottles!

I know. Saddens me but i try one every week in hope but still no good. I suppose I should just stick it away and forget about it for a bit and wait until it either comes good or I need the bottles!
I would do exactly that - give it at least a month or two. If it comes good eventually, you’ll kick yourself you wasted so many bad ones!
Brew some new beer - it’ll stop you obsessing over the duff one.

Ok, complete NOOB here. I bought a beer starter kit in January that included the Razorback IPA kit. I built myself a brew fridge and followed all the instructions setting the temperature at 22 degrees C (instructions said between 20-25) and after about 24 hours it was like a volcano was erupting. There was froth and foam pouring from the airlock and it was everywhere. I cleaned it all up and washed the airlock using sanitiser and put everything back. I then had to do the same another couple of times over the next few days. Everything calmed down eventually and after two weeks and two consecutive SG readings of 1009 over 24 hours I bottled it all on 9th February with a teaspoon measurement of sugar in each bottle. It went into a wardrobe in my bedroom at around 21 degrees for two weeks and then into the shed at about 12 degrees. After a week in the shed I tried a bottle. Yuk, it had the most bitter after taste I’ve ever tasted. Honestly, I’m not one to chuck a beer away but this was totally undrinkable. I realise this brew was at the absolute minimum timing for drinking according to the instructions and have read in so many places that bottle conditioned home brew gets better if left longer so left it be. I have now tried a bottle every week since, the last one being yesterday (7th April) but I really cant see any improvement. I’m gutted. Now I don’t know what to do. A subsequent brew of a Simply Mild has come out very well and I now have a premium Lager on which will need bottling in a week or so. I can either stick with the Razorback in the hope it eventually comes good and buy another 40 bottles for the Lager or chuck it and save the bottle money. What shall I do?
just so can understand a little more about the first stage fermenting process. did your kit come with a bag of dextrose like mine ? if so this should of been added at the end of first stage fermenting,just before bottling. this being the priming suger!

I brewed the razorback kit once, and it came out with a horrible medicinal aftertaste. It was the second kit I had brewed with similar effect. It really frustrated and I wanted to get to the bottom of it. I eventually narrowed it down to it being off flavours produced by the yeast from either being 1. Fermenting at too high temp (I used to brew at 21C, now I set it to 18C) and 2. Stressed yeast, so started rehydrating it first. Since the changes I’ve not had the problem again. I am now brewing AG though.

Where did you place the probe from the Inkbird (I presume you're using an Inkbird?)? Many people tape it to the FV covered in a piece of bubblewrap as it's the temperature INSIDE the FV that's really important and that will always be a bit higher than the temperature outside it. If your probe was loose inside the fridge, then 22C might be a bit high as the temp inside the FV could easily be 24C.

It sounds like you've already done it but I would brew at lower temperatures. If the temp is too high, you can get 'off' flavours from the yeast. It's probably either that or you've been very unlucky and the beer has an infection - in which case nothing will save it.

just so can understand a little more about the first stage fermenting process. did your kit come with a bag of dextrose like mine ? if so this should of been added at the end of first stage fermenting,just before bottling. this being the priming suger!

I think it came with two bags of dextrose. 1kg to be added to the PF and a smaller bag for priming.

Where did you place the probe from the Inkbird (I presume you're using an Inkbird?)? Many people tape it to the FV covered in a piece of bubblewrap as it's the temperature INSIDE the FV that's really important and that will always be a bit higher than the temperature outside it. If your probe was loose inside the fridge, then 22C might be a bit high as the temp inside the FV could easily be 24C.

It sounds like you've already done it but I would brew at lower temperatures. If the temp is too high, you can get 'off' flavours from the yeast. It's probably either that or you've been very unlucky and the beer has an infection - in which case nothing will save it.

I think this may be where I went wrong with mine. The sensor was just in the brew fridge. Instructions said 20-25 degrees so I set it at 24 with a .5 degree variance. It’s likely my brew was hitting 26 or perhaps even more. Since starting to use kit instructions as no more than a guide, attaching the sensor to the FV and taking more note of advice offered on this forum, my subsequent brews have turned out rather well. Cheers

Now I tend to do FV @ 17-19*c and move to 20-22 @ the end. I spend all my time trying to cool the *uggers down,,,,
Does the yeasts activity not produce heat in the primary+ woomf stage? (:tinhat:)
I also tend to only add 5g hydrated yeast /25L which may prevent any Krausen Vesuvius. But is that normal?

Do you have a pH meter? If you do, open a bottle, pour some into a shallow plastic container, measure the pH, and leave it out for 24hrs, and then check again, if the pH is dropping there is a very good sign it may be an infection. As an aside some easy identifiers for you to understand how to articulate what you are tasting - https://www.beercraftr.com/detecting-off-flavors/ If its not that, then I would leave it in a fridge for 4 weeks and try again.

Finally my PH papers arrived today. I’d mistakenly ordered from a supplier in China. Took a reading after opening the bottle (still tastes ****) and it’s currently 6. Will leave it out and try again tomorrow.

I cracked open another bottle of my Razorback IPA today and it’s still rank. I bottled it over three months ago now. Such a shame. It’s cleared fantastically!!
I’d love to know what I did wrong with this brew. I’d happily post a bottle to someone with some experience in off flavours in return for their opinion. Let me know if you’re interested please.

Latest posts

Back