Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I find razorback to be hoppy enough and well balanced. It's a quality kit and wouldn't muck about with it too much. If you want to experiment with additional hops why not use a more neutral (and cheaper!) kit as a starting point?

Ok I will do this. Any suggestions on the kit?

What I might do is buy two of the same kit and add different hops to each. Which kit would be best for doing something like this?

Thanks guys, loving my new hobby.

I've just finished my last 3 bottles of this brew, very nice and a great kit! I did find this kit very "grapefruity" however I might still do it again. My favourite to date is Raja's Reward, a much nicer pint in my opinion. Enjoy!!

I love razerback but get lots off lose crub in my bottles
Anyone tried beer fining ??

Im interested, since Ive heard really mixed reviews about this kit, which has put me off a tad.

I am doing this kit for a friend who's just starting to have a go at brewing,and I'm showing him how easy a kit is to do.
Well it's been in the FV 3 days no bubbling at all.It's a constant 22 degrees but there's a lot of brown around the sides so something's happening,but not through the airlock.Wanted to show him the effects of the air lock.
I did use the yeast that came with the kit,which I never have,always used gervin yeast so a little disappointed not to show this to him,as he would of known what to expect.
Has anyone had issues of no air lock action with this kit?
Might just give a little stir tomorrow to see if it starts up any

As I leave the hydrometer inside whilst fermenting I had a quick look,it's down to 1020 from 1050 so it doesn't seem stuck will leave it a couple more days and check if it's dropped again.I haven't give it a stir yet.

ok Wel its looking promising. personally id leave it alone til next weekend if your not in any rush. itl most likely be down to the required attenuation without the added risk of opening the lid too much necessarily.
I had a similar problem with my last batch where I split the FV lid forcing the airlock in. basically I thought at first nothing was happening when in reality it was going off like a rocket. it only takes a minute hole/split to let the air out and Youl see no cavity in the airlock. have you used this FV before?

Yes used fv many times,checked this afternoon and the lid is covered in Krausen so will just leave it for another week.It states add hop pellets after 5 days,what's most people done,as I want to leave it 2 weeks at least.

Hi all,

I am 4 days into brewing this kit.... my first kit really.... I have followed the instructions carefully... just have couple of questions at this stage if anyone could help?

Started brew in the evening of Saturday 7th May. My FV has been pretty active for the past 3 days, (although not as active as some of the photos I have seen) I have the FV in a water bath which has a heater on a thermostat in to stop the temperature dropping too low, although It hasn't kicked in as the past few days have been really warm. Brew temp has been on average 22C

1. The foam produced appears to have lifted a lot of the yeast out of the brew, and is now stuck to the lid of my FV. is this normal? do I need to stir it back in?
2. I checked the FV this morning, and fermentation seems to be slowing, the foaming is less now, and there were not as many bubbles coming through the air lock, also the airlock was clean this morning, previously I was getting some foam through the airlock.... again is this normal? from the review above, I would be expecting fermentation to still be very active, and if anything, more active.

Any reassurance/advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Hi all,

I am 4 days into brewing this kit.... my first kit really.... I have followed the instructions carefully... just have couple of questions at this stage if anyone could help?

Started brew in the evening of Saturday 7th May. My FV has been pretty active for the past 3 days, (although not as active as some of the photos I have seen) I have the FV in a water bath which has a heater on a thermostat in to stop the temperature dropping too low, although It hasn't kicked in as the past few days have been really warm. Brew temp has been on average 22C

1. The foam produced appears to have lifted a lot of the yeast out of the brew, and is now stuck to the lid of my FV. is this normal? do I need to stir it back in?
2. I checked the FV this morning, and fermentation seems to be slowing, the foaming is less now, and there were not as many bubbles coming through the air lock, also the airlock was clean this morning, previously I was getting some foam through the airlock.... again is this normal? from the review above, I would be expecting fermentation to still be very active, and if anything, more active.

Any reassurance/advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Activity sounds normal

Just leave it and check the gravity of it next week

Well its had 14 days in the FV and racked off for 2 in the cold, but this is really terrible for clogging the syphon up,had to pump it out manually,my mates tasted it and thinks its already ready for drinking:lol::lol::lol::lol: some folk are easily pleased,i can see him turning into an alcoholic by xmas.

Hi guys

just out of interest (with the intention of buying either soon) How does this compare to the youngs IPA? apart from the ABV

Cheers:smile:

This is my first kit. I started it on 14th May with an OG of 1046. I added the hop pellets 11 days later with the hope that fermentation would finish today. The last couple of days it was a constant 1004 so that should be about 5.5%. As it is my first kit I followed the instructions precisely, except the date of adding the hops.

Just finished bottling, made 40 bottles with half left over and would be such a shame to waste it :drink:

I am rather impressed so far, definite taste of grapefruit but nothing overpowering. No off tastes either so fingers crossed. Here is what it looks like in a glass.

IMAG0001.jpg

Since I moved the bottles into a colder place about a week ago I thought I would try a sample to see how it is getting on. I wasn't expecting anything great but it is a really nice pint already. For a first attempt I am very happy with it.

Quite a strong grapefruit taste and fairly bitter but I've definitely had worse in a pub and very drinkable. Can't wait to see what this will be like in a few weeks and would definitely make this again.

Here is what it looks like.

Razorback.png

Back