Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had this in my new KK Top-Tap for 4 weeks now. Desperate to try it but as a general rule I usually leave bottles at least 6 weeks and ideally 8. This is the first brew I've kegged, anyone reckon it's worth trying or worth holding off until XMas for full effect?

Answered my own question on Thu night. Flat and cloudy. Very disappointed. :( One thing I can say is that this is VERY, VERY fruity! :sick:

GavH said:
Answered my own question on Thu night. Flat and cloudy. Very disappointed. :( One thing I can say is that this is VERY, VERY fruity! :sick:

Stick with it Gav, the fruitiness does drop back i made mine in July and now it is a really good beer, although i did bottle all mine. One thing about this beer is the sediment is very easy to disturb making it cloudy. As for yours been flat :wha: mine fair climbs out of the glass I thought it was over carbonated. :hat:

Monte Cristo said:
Stick with it Gav, the fruitiness does drop back i made mine in July and now it is a really good beer, although i did bottle all mine. One thing about this beer is the sediment is very easy to disturb making it cloudy. As for yours been flat :wha: mine fair climbs out of the glass I thought it was over carbonated. :hat:

Thanks MC, that's useful to know. I think my keg must have leaked out all the CO2 - overlubed, overtightened, not tight enough, who knows!? Reprimed with another 80g of brewing sugar and trying again. Pretty frustrating all round. Just bought the keg, a sparkler tap for it and this kit, all of which at present appear to have been money wasted. So keen was I to keg it that I forgot to bottle a few first, so ended up only getting 3 x 500ml bottles at the end.

Monte Cristo said:
GavH said:

I bottled mine on 24/8/13 and it started out really grapefruity. Tried one over the weekend and it is now VERY bitter. Very disappointed with this kit as I was expecting a good brew.

Greenland Stinger :drink:

That's a real shame GS, mine was very grapefruity to start with but that has dropped back to grapefruity which is allowing other flavours to come through. It has a slight bitterness but nothing out of the ordinary. :hat:

Mine has finally settled down now, still very very grapefruity, but the bitterness has subsided quite a way.

Much more drinkable now, although i can't help but feel it could have been better.

I'm not sure how i feel on the carbonation, on the one hand the pint i poured last night went mental out of the glass but once settled the level of fizz in the brew was spot on for me.

On a comparison note I had a bottle of Brewdog Punk IPA in the pub the other night and although mine is much grassier in aroma the taste was very similar, which is nice!

Might try the Bulldog Double IPA next, which seeing as i'm down to my last 4 bottles might need to be sooner rather than later

Cheers :drink:

I've got the Bulldog Rajas reward IPA lined up to compare and also the Festival stag summer ale which looks a similar kit with one less packet of hops to add, be interesting to see the difference. :hat:

Mines down to 1008, stuck there for 2 weeks now, should I keg now? I don't think its going to reach 1005.

Really the place its brewing in isn't warm enough now but I can't change that short term (short of getting rid of the kids who keep leaving the cupboard door open :hmm: )

Sampled a few of these from the KK on Fri night. OMG is what I think all the cool kids say these days! Not fully cleared, the pour produced a nice head but the knock out punch comes from the MASSIVE hop character this has!

Simply put, I haven't tasted anything like it and cannot wait for it to clear up and mature.

I bottled one of these very end of July and have been very patient with it as still have 19 bottles left. I think its fantastic! The closest kit to a Punk IPA or possibly Jaipur that you can get. I actually added 30g Citra leaf hops in a muslin bag after 5 days as well as the hop pellets so it has a massive hop aroma, but that's what I like!

Got an early christmas present of a milestone brew kit my first kit I've made is the razorback IPA fermented for almost 3 weeks hopped for four days but didn't want to clear
d6c41d47781005d14518c232df8df964_zpsa6319d09.jpg

Was also alarmed at how much sediment maffa had in his bottle, so placed in a secondary FV in a cooler place for a few days to settle out. Surprised how sediment was left in the bottom of the secondary
1ccdb98391fab62b635d5760c3ba8d7a_zps43564257.jpg

Bottled 2 and kegged the rest.... Fingers crossed!
272c968836af8fa60d55f66a078586d7_zps7d896b3f.jpg

I did the same, moved it into a secondary for a few days and it left a load of sediment behind so i'm pleased I did it. Apart from anything else, syphoning it out of the primary was a task and a half!

Tried one of the few bottles I did last night. @8 wks since bottling, this is by far the best brew kit I've done to date. The excessive hoppiness Has indeed eased, leaving a flavour that will be sensational on a warm summers day. Will need to get another on the go before end of March, leaving more than enough time to brew, bottle and condition in time for summer. Now making me wonder about the other Festival kits...

Agreed gav yet to hear a bad report about the festival kits appart from people that have made brewing 'errors' with them. just bought the golden stagg and the landlord, gotta feeling 2014 is going to be a good one! :D

Just taken a quick sample of mine from the keg, it been in the spare room now for too weeks and I'm just about to put it in the garage for the final couple of weeks the 'bang' of bitterness has almost gone very clear and very drinkable could do with a little more fizz I'm hoping this will develop a little more in the final two weeks. Good job it will be out of site and out of mind for a while! Well chuffed as I was a little worried about this one.

daf621c5a72dfdbc6db34776c1123471_zpsd331921d.jpg

Just had the first two pints of mine. Very impressed, bitterness is dropping away now and its got a lovely aroma :cheers:

I'm another that will struggle to leave this long enough to reach is full potential :shock:

I started this kit 14 days ago, it's still bubbling away, currently at 1009. Smells fantastic! Can't wait for this one!

I'll be chucking this into a 2nd fv for a while once gravity's down a bit more, thanks for the heads up re: sediment!

Been in the garage for just over a week now, just couldn't help myself. :thumb:
a20b16bfb4ecb0b6f5de18ea0bf97152_zpsd97f9e98.jpg

I really should have read this thread before starting the same kit earlier today!

Greetings folks, I'm an absolute newbie to both this forum and home brewing. I made a trip to the local brewing shop (Abbey Home Brew in Leeds) with a mate and after a nice long chat with the owner I bought the basic gear and this kit. We had a stab at getting it all set up this morning and followed the instructions. Our OG reading was 1050, that's if we used the hydrometer correctly! We will be spending the next few days closely monitoring the temps to make sure it stays between the suggested 20-25C.

Since this out first attempt is it advisable to ignore the instructions and do the same as you folks by leaving the first fermentation for as long as it takes for the bubbles to settle down and until the hydrometer readings are stable for 48 hours? Also is it worth using a second FV with the priming sugar rather than faffing about with priming each bottle? Planning to use empty 1L carbonated water bottles from Asda for the second stage of fermentation.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back