Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
38 bottles of amazing smelling IPA.
Please be as good as it smells :whistle:

I think you'll find it tastes even better than it smells.

I'm fairly new to brewing and started just in December with this kit. I've now bought a second one and just waiting to clear one of my FVs to get it on the go.
I can quite honestly say that had i not started brewing with this kit, I may not have got so interested in brewing. IPA is my drink of choice and was quite taken aback by the quality of IPA that i was able to brew at home (dare I say, even better than my pint of Deuchars from my favourite pub).
As this thread has had over 9,000 views I guess I'm not alone in my love of this truly stunning ale.

Ive just stuck mine in the shed for a week before i bottle, but for a good ipa id reccommend the betterbrew ipa dry hopped, mine is just coming good now after bottling on 29/11/13, 5.6% with 1kg brew enhancer and 40g cascade hop.

Looking forward to this one but try other ipa's too!

I brewed some of this in October last year...it's all gone now :thumb:
It turned out amazing, even my window cleaner was impressed with his 2ltr bottle he got as a tip at Christmas. Will definatly be trying this again in the year.

Gave a friend a bottle of this at Christmas with instructions not to touch until Feb. Last night in the pub he said that he'd drunk it the day before and liked it so much he wanted me to brew a whole batch for him...if he appears with the kit I will do just that.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

This arrived today along with another box of Wherry :party: Looking forward to this one though,comes with 2 bags of hops as well :thumb:

gazkilla said:
comes with 2 bags of hops as well :thumb:

On closer inspection you'll notice that this is two bags containing THREE different types of hop! :geek: Made it easily the most hoppy beer I've ever had and was a surprisingly easy intro to dry hopping.

4 weeks conditioning and its come clear out of the keg tastes brilliant. really upfront citrus followed by a bitter after taste .I must try and take my time drinking this one because I don't want it to run out.

funkyslime said:
4 weeks conditioning and its come clear out of the keg tastes brilliant. really upfront citrus followed by a bitter after taste .I must try and take my time drinking this one because I don't want it to run out.

The common rule that no one can follow :doh: :grin:

I have to say this one has to be my all time favorite beer, I am now rationing myself as I don't want to run out before the next batch is ready!!! Its hoppy and citrus flavours are superb. I gave a bottle to my brother who was so impressed he went straight down the local HBS and bought one for himself, I have shared a few bottles with friends and they cannot believe its a home brew kit, at least one friend has started home brewing on the strength of one bottle of these!!! I have asked at my local HBS who got them in as I asked for them and they said these have become a really good seller for them. Which makes me worry that they might sell out!! :D This beer is outstanding! if you can leave it a month in the bottle before sampling you will not be disappointed :drink: .

Hi all,

New here. Have just recently bottled up my Razorback IPA and am letting it do its thing in the airing cupboard for a week or two before I let it condition.

Think I made a bit of a schoolboy error with the hops; I added all of them sans hop-bag and when it came to the bottling stage I had quite the siphoning problem (two siphon nets and still a bit of rogue hop got through.)

Still, mostly all ok and primed. Hoping it all clears a little more because it smells bloody lovely.

Two weeks in the airing cupboard (about 20C) and then into the pantry for three? I've used mostly brown glass bottles but have three old Shepherd's Neame clear bottles so that I can see the progress. Trying to keep these out of the rays of the sun!

Joe :cheers:

I'd give it at least 4 weeks from bottling although even longer is better. You are allowed to have a quality control test weekly though :whistle:

Started today brewed to 21.5 litres.
Had an OG of 1050
Pitched yeast at 23c
Hops will go in next Monday as I like to leave it 2 weeks in the FV

Sat in Buddy Guys Legends in downtown Chicago (as one does), listening to some live music and enjoying pint of Anti Hero IPA. I can't help but think this stuff is just like my Razorback IPA.

Just had a taste test after a week in the bottle: jeeez Louise, what a beauty!

Still a bit too tangy for a prolonged session, but it has a phenomenal colour/body. Reminds me of Jaipur a little bit.

Need to try this when I haven't been down the pub celebrating an English victory over the Welsh; a few too many pints of Bengal Lancer may have dampened my palette!

Update: I think I got a good bottle at the weekend because the second tester wasn't a goer.

For some reason I got a bottle that seemed to start fizzing fairly heavily when I popped the lid, shaking up the sediment at the base of the bottle. Needless to say it tasted a bit soapy!

It is only 12 days into secondary conditioning, I think it may be time to move the buggers to a cooler storage than my airing cupboard (consistent temp of 20degrees).

Still have faith...

Well, moved it all to the cool, dark pantry now to further condition. Couldn't resist a little sample so I chilled a bottle in the fridge and popped it open last night. Think it's still over-carbonated (I abhor totally flat beer) but what poured out was crystal clear and very very tasty already. I think the next few months could be tempting indeed!

My local bottle shop has agreed to take some samples for me and help to promote it for a small donation per bottle to help raise funds for my charity mission (where I'm running 5 marathons in 5 days for Cardiac Risk in the Young, details below.)

www.justgiving.com/5in5jr

Will definitely be hoarding a few of these beauties for a rainy day...

Based on the comments here Ive bought this as my second ever brew. Been in the FV for 2 days and is bubbling away happily although much more slowly than my previous bulldog kit. Im think of moving this to a second FV once the gravity has stabilised and then adding the hops and letting it cool for a week or so before batch priming in a third FV. Any thoughts? Am i moving too often?

Latest posts

Back