Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats kinda what i do. Wait til its finished, rack, hop, wait a week, taste, if ok, rack and leave in shed a week then rack into batch primed bottling bucket and crack on. Two weeks warm, as long as possible cold.

Currently sipping a pint while bottling some wine, and browsing on here. Multitasking or what?

Anyways, mine started 19/01/14, 1.054, ended 1.006 20/02/14, so been in bottle 22 days and is rather pleasant. Looking forward to trying it again in a month.

Not sure why you'd want to move it so often. Just dry hop it in the first FV then batch prime in secondary before bottling.

Checked the FG 48hrs ago and it was at 1012,so I stuck the base warmer on and re-checked tonight and its down to 1004 from 1050 making it 6.1% :shock:

Never had a brew go that low before,will re-check in 48hrs

This just gets better each time I drink it. I'm desperately trying to leave some bottles for about 6 months but it's already looking futile.

I think it's a little bit fruity like Jaipur and would benefit from longer in the bottle; bloody gorgeous though.

Mines been in the FV for 13 days and its down to 1009, little way to go yet but its still bubbling away slowly. Couldn't resist a sip from the sample tube - even before its ready to bottle it tastes like its got real potential. Am getting excited about this one!

As my Razorback IPA is in the post I willl be putting it on shortly. I plan to bottle from FV and not sure how to use the mesh bag provided to strain the hops pellets. I know it should go over the siphon, but using a tap and little bottler not sure what to do..

1. Do I put the pellets inside the bag and soak?
2. Do I attach the bag to tap/little bottler? (dont think it would work without clogging it)
3. Do I attach the bag to the tap thread (on the inside of the fermenter) before making the wort, so when bottling day comes it may keep the pellets away (the sediment may settle on the bag so not ideal)

What do you guys think? I've used only hop tea bags before so dont really know how to tacke it

sqrson said:
As my Razorback IPA is in the post I willl be putting it on shortly. I plan to bottle from FV and not sure how to use the mesh bag provided to strain the hops pellets. I know it should go over the siphon, but using a tap and little bottler not sure what to do..

1. Do I put the pellets inside the bag and soak?
2. Do I attach the bag to tap/little bottler? (dont think it would work without clogging it)
3. Do I attach the bag to the tap thread (on the inside of the fermenter) before making the wort, so when bottling day comes it may keep the pellets away (the sediment may settle on the bag so not ideal)

What do you guys think? I've used only hop tea bags before so dont really know how to tacke it

If you don't have a second FV to start it in (then transfer to your FV with the tap for bottling) your options are limited. You could try to put the strainer over the tap thread on the inside but not sure if it would stay put. Definitely don't attach it externally to the tap/bottler. Hop debris will just get drawn in to the tap and clog it up. I would either buy a hop bag and bung the pellets in there or buy a basic syphon cane/tube and do it that way :thumb:

Due to a malfunction with my bottling wand when in the middle of bottling I actually found getting a funnel and putting the strainer through it meant that I could adequately strain off the hops without too much trouble. I did have to rinse it out a few times but I found it didn't clog up the tap.

I'm going to start the Suffolk strong soon as well. Thinking I'll save myself the hassle and just put the hops in the strainer to float. Does anyone know if this is equally effective?

Had a bottle of this last night which is about 2 months old now..

Wow! By far the best kit I have ever made! I've moved onto AG now but this is a cracking beer! Mine came out bang on the advertised 5.7%

Would deffo recommended this to kit brewers!

Bottled 42 500ml bottles of this fragrant beauty today.
Started 18/3 with sg of 1042.
Hops went in 29/3.
Racked off 2/4 onto cold kitchen floor.
Fg of 1004 giving bang on 5% by the calculator.
Best tasting brew so far going into bottles.
Two weeks warm then into the understairs cupboard until I get back from Corfu mid-June...Well that's the plan anyway 😁.

I tried a bottle of this my brother made which I think was about 2 months old. It was blinding, I definitely want to fit this kit in at some point even though I'm trying to move over to all grain.

Mine ended up in the FV for 3 weeks before I got to 1004. Hops at that point had been in for 7 days. Its now only been 7 days since I batch primed it and I couldn't resist a taste. This is only my second brew and having been a bit disappointed with my first effort I was amazed by this even at this very early stage. Its lovely, fairly big hop kick and nicely balanced. Never having tried anyone else's homebrew I wasn't sure what to expect from my efforts but this exceeds my expectations even at this (very) early stage.

mines been in the keg for a month now and is still very cloudy:confused: taste is not quite there yet but i hope it clears soon.

Surprised its still cloudy after a month. Mine cleared very quickly. You got it out in the cold?

I was just about to reply the same. I did rack off mine for a week after the hops had done their business, but a week in the bottle and they were as clear as day. Not a kegger myself so not able to suggest a reason unfortunately...

im usually an all grain brewer but needed to get a brew on very fast and didnt have a spare day so hence the kit, yes i had the keg in a cool room and a few bottles in the fridge and there both cloudy.
ill just leave it for another month and see what happens

Latest posts

Back