Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO the 10 day fermentation period that is stated in the instructions is ment as a guide, always go with the hydrometer.
Would strongly recommend you place in a secondary for a few days after the initial fermentation process to settle out (you'll be glad you did this) for reasons I stated in previous posts above. If you are going to batch prime you will need to place in another FV after settling out period otherwise you will end up with VERY cloudy beer, I primed the bottles/king keg so did not have to do this.
The bottles you intend to use IMO are on the large side, this is not a session beer mine came out at just over 6%, I maybe a lightweight but four pints of this bad boy and I'm going to bed hahaha.
Tip get a turkey baister from wilkos £1 to remove any samples for your trial jar/hydrometer readings as going all in with the trial jar is very intrusive and can be messy especially after you have added the hops.
Remember to sanitize all equipment that comes into contact with the beer!

Good luck Nico.

Thanks for the reply and tips. It has been sat between 20 and 23 degrees for the past few days with plenty of activity in the airlock. Going by the instructions the hops will be place in on Wednesday. Going by your advice my plan is to wait for the readings to be stable before syphoning the contents out into a secondary FV. Then leave it in there for a couple of days before siphoning it again into another FV to batch prime and bottle. Hopefully this will help to avoid a cloudy beer.

I'll grab a turkey baster from the local Wilkos tomorrow. Need to find somewhere that sells starsan without the daft postage prices as it looks like the easiest sanitizer to use.

Oh and with regards to the bottle sizes, My plan was to fill each bottle to around the 3/4 mark so 750ml of beer in each one. It will more than likely be consumed with friends, some of whom are heavy drinkers so hopefully the size won't pose any issues. I myself on the other hand don't actually drink, this was just a project that interested me and some friends so we decided to have a dabble!

Nico

Don't 3/4 fill your bottles. This is likely to leave too much oxygen in contact with the beer which will make it go off quickly even after carbonation. You should only leave an inch or so of clear space at the top of each bottle.

Ah, thanks for the info. Looks like I may have to find some 750ml bottles then. I'm trying to stick to a budget and new 500ml bottles seem to be around £15-£17 for a pack of 24

Give Morley home brew a call they may sell that starsan stuff, I just use Milton fluid. You my find a siphon retaining clip useful £1.80 and a bottle filling tube it auto starts/stops between bottle £3?
I'd give it 3 days in the secondary to settle out, before your final batch prime.
Your looking for a stable hydrometer reading over 48 hrs

I would say, that if your a fan of Brewdog Punk IPA and other such hoppy craft IPAs and are prepared to leave this kit for 5-6 months in the bottle you will be very happy with the resulting beer.

This was my first brew and im totally delighted with how it came out.
If anything I prefer the taste when still young.
Here it is after 15 days in the bottle...

Just put this in the keg tonight 2weeks primary then 1 week secondary started at 1048 sg finished at 1005
First kit I can say tasted really good before conditioning think I may invest in more festival kits

Mine was 1020 after 2 weeks really dropped after it was put into secondary so I wouldn't worry about it

Markdon said:
Been on 13 days, still bubbling slowly, but sitting at 1.014, is this ok??

No. Read the instructions that came with the kit. They are quite specific. 1.005 you're looking to hit. Mine took 3 weeks and went to 1.004.

Hi guys, just joined and got this in fermenter (12 days and still bubbling away) got high hopes for this.
Regarding 750mm bottles I have been using M + S French soda bottles with swing tops
been encouraging the family to "just get the juice,it's good for you" :thumb:

Brewed and bottled this before Christmas; just followed instructions and dry hopped after 7 days for a further 7 days. Immediately after indoor conditioning in bottles this was just one mass of grapefruit (which I quite liked). Now that has calmed down a lot and it's really very good.

If it is chilled in fridge then the yeast stays in the bottle pretty well; it gives a very clear quite light golden/orange pint. However, I think it actually taste significantly nicer with the yeast mixed back in; it's much fuller in the mouth and the taste has more going on than just the big hop flavour (some sort of punkish IPA/wheat beer mongrel).

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

What temps are folks keeping the bottles/kegs at during the secondary fermentation?

My bottles stayed indoors around 18-20C for a week or so, then in the porch for couple weeks. Even within week 1 outside was very clear and tasted fantastic.

Back