Re-Hydrating Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy6Mac

Reaction score
Has anybody had experience of accidentally not re-hydrating yeast, did a brew at the w/ end after transferring the cooled wort to the fermentation vessel, I pitched the yeast at the correct temp as per recipe, however after I did this I then turned the packet over to see that there were the re-hydration instructions on the back. Will this effect the fermentation process etc, or will it create any other problems.
Hoping for some answers, thanks

I’ve never noticed any difference between beer made with rehydrated versus non-rehydrated dried yeast. I don’t bother now. I doubt this will cause any issues, assuming you pitch enough of it

Must admit that I've found that mangrove jack's M44 seems to kick in a lot faster when rehydrated. But as has been said, dry pitched will still ferment ok. May just be a bit slower to take off

Cheers Tom

Unless you are pitching in to an especially strong imperial Russian stout at 1.090 or something, I doubt it will care. Yeast just gets on with it!
For example my saison yeast gives rehydration instructions which equates to pitching in to 1.030. My wort was only a smidge over that!!!

Has anybody had experience of accidentally not re-hydrating yeast, did a brew at the w/ end after transferring the cooled wort to the fermentation vessel, I pitched the yeast at the correct temp as per recipe, however after I did this I then turned the packet over to see that there were the re-hydration instructions on the back. Will this effect the fermentation process etc, or will it create any other problems.
Hoping for some answers, thanks

It's more important when brewing big beers IME - I've never needed a 2nd packet when brewing 21 litres of 10%+ beer

Relax it will be fine, I rehydrate a larger pitch to me it gives a cleaner ferment. There is more to rehydrating than just mixing yeast and water!

What was the original gravity? I never bother if I’m within pitching rate guidelines, but if Im only using one sachet for example on a 1055 plus beer, I might hydrate first.

Most dried yeast brands tell you to sprinkle it directly onto the wort. That’s what I’ve always done, and as others have said, never had a problem.

I think it's a preference and dependent on your setup tbh! I've been using the crossmyloof yeasts and the instructions for those say you get more professional results rehydrating prior to pitching, which is why I started doing it. I've definitely noticed better results. I know Fermentis did a study and says it makes no difference, but from my experience rehydrating produces cleaner results with fewer off-flavours - probably a result of the yeast not being as stressed.

Having said that, I ferment under pressure without temperature control, so this is likely an added factor. As I don't have temp control, I like to make sure I do all I can to help the yeast along, and this has definitely produced better results using this setup. As I said, I think it's dependent on your setup and preference - this is mine currently!

Hahaha - you should dropping your wort on to a previous brews trub! It can be climbing out the FV in less than an hour!
Similarly if you scoop some of the krausen from a fermenting brew into a fresh cooled wort............just did this with a wyeast 1056 and it was frothing within an hour.

I did a brew day with a professional brewer years ago.
He recommended you re-hydrate yeast.

Since then I have to always do this and it does cut down on the lag time.

But sometimes I do forget and just have to chuck in dry.
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it tbh.

I don't rehydrate the yeast. I've been brewing for almost 20 years and never had any problems. Some packets say to sprinkle directly into the wort, some say to rehydrate. But I just put it straight into the fermenter. I always get airlock activity within 12 hours, sometimes under 3. Rehydrating probably does make a small difference in reducing lag time, but IMO my lag times are sufficiently low that it's unnecessary

The only time I ever rehydrated yeast was with old (2 yr old) yeast and an OG 1.068 wort. And that was "just in case" it helped

Latest posts

Back