Re: St Peters Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who have not tasted St Peters Cream Stout, here at Trafford Homebrew, we have a barrel on in the shop to sample. So just come down to us on Eastway in Sale and see what you are missing.
www.traffordhomebrew.co.uk
:drink:

I've got a St*Peters*cream*stout*on the go at the mo. It seems a little low on abv. Box says 5%, I used 20 litres of water (10×2ltr bottles) rather than the 20.5ltr on the instructions. Start gravity 1.040, after 4 days 1.016, at 8 days now 1.015. Instructions say ferm complete when gravity is constant below 1014º (which is the same as 1.014 specific gravity, right?)
Might I have a stuck brew? Going to go and agitate the bucket to see if I can shake things up a bit.
Anyone able to give any insight please?

I've got a St*Peters*cream*stout*on the go at the mo. It seems a little low on abv. Box says 5%, I used 20 litres of water (10×2ltr bottles) rather than the 20.5ltr on the instructions. Start gravity 1.040, after 4 days 1.016, at 8 days now 1.015. Instructions say ferm complete when gravity is constant below 1014º (which is the same as 1.014 specific gravity, right?)
Might I have a stuck brew? Going to go and agitate the bucket to see if I can shake things up a bit.
Anyone able to give any insight please?

You've put too much water in there so your starting gravity is a bit too low. The total amount of liquid including the cans should be 20.5 litres.

Kit instructions are very optimistic. Give it at least two weeks in the FV and see how low it goes.

I've actually got this same kit on the go at the moment. Had it kicking around for a while and have since gone to AG but figured it'd be a shame to waste it. I'm sure it'll be a good winter tipple.

Thanks for the reply serum. 20.5l INCLUDING cans, oops. Only my second brew so not the worst mistake I could have made! I'll give it a little longer and see how it goes before kegging.
It wouldn't be worth adding a little something, treacle maybe, to bump it up abit? Or could that just balls it up completely!? Shame as I was really looking forward to this one, ho hum...
Thanks again

Thanks for the reply serum. 20.5l INCLUDING cans, oops. Only my second brew so not the worst mistake I could have made! I'll give it a little longer and see how it goes before kegging.
It wouldn't be worth adding a little something, treacle maybe, to bump it up abit? Or could that just balls it up completely!? Shame as I was really looking forward to this one, ho hum...
Thanks again

I made this mistake with one of my first kits and still came out with decent beer so I'd probably just leave it as it is and chalk it down to experience. It'll probably still be quite drinkable.

I made this mistake with one of my first kits and still came out with decent beer so I'd probably just leave it as it is and chalk it down to experience. It'll probably still be quite drinkable.

Wise words. It certainly won't be happening again! Thanks again

All kegged last night with a fg of 1.015. Used 75g of soft brown sugar to prime, which caused the pressure release valve to hiss for an hour or so - seems ok now though. Looks and smells lovely :)
I notice that the trub on the bottom was much more 'dense' and solid than my last (first) brew (wherry). Maybe a result of leaving it plenty of time to settle. Made me wonder mid transfer 'how do I know when to stop before getting sediment?', which led me to thinking how can I tell when a stout has cleared?

All kegged last night with a fg of 1.015. Used 75g of soft brown sugar to prime, which caused the pressure release valve to hiss for an hour or so - seems ok now though. Looks and smells lovely :)
I notice that the trub on the bottom was much more 'dense' and solid than my last (first) brew (wherry). Maybe a result of leaving it plenty of time to settle. Made me wonder mid transfer 'how do I know when to stop before getting sediment?', which led me to thinking how can I tell when a stout has cleared?

From a keg, pour some out into a thin glass and hold it up to a strong, direct light.

For a bottle, just hold it up to a strong, direct light.

From a keg, pour some out into a thin glass and hold it up to a strong, direct light.

For a bottle, just hold it up to a strong, direct light.

Elegantly simple :) Any tips on knowing when to stop siphoning off?
Cheers...

Well it ended up a touch under 4% after my balls up adding too much water, but after a week and a bit in the keg, and having had a long day with no other beer in the house, temptation got the better of me! Even brewed a little weak its a lovely pint, if a bit malty. But I expect a while to condition will mellow that tang out.
Very impressed. I now have a second pressure barrel being delivered, and have my eye on a st peters ruby red...
Cheers all

tapatalk_1409866538584.jpeg

Well it ended up a touch under 4% after my balls up adding too much water, but after a week and a bit in the keg, and having had a long day with no other beer in the house, temptation got the better of me! Even brewed a little weak its a lovely pint, if a bit malty. But I expect a while to condition will mellow that tang out.
Very impressed. I now have a second pressure barrel being delivered, and have my eye on a st peters ruby red...
Cheers all

Sloth that is some pint mate, it's on its side and still not pouring :hmm:
Seriously,looks good.
Never tried a stout but may have to.
Cheers

Sloth that is some pint mate, it's on its side and still not pouring :hmm:
Seriously,looks good.
Never tried a stout but may have to.
Cheers

Coopers Stout is really good, well worth a go

My 1st brew, a Festival-Razorback IPA was bottled yesterday and I started a St P Cream Stout also. Added full amount of water when I'd intended to brew it short so added 500g of dark DME and got a OG of 1050 so not too bad. faffed around rehydrating my yeast (after a small disaster with brew No.1) but in doing so added that before the hop powder stuff :doh: contra the instructions!!! Anyway its bubbling away after just 12 hours rather than the 6 days my previous/1st brew took. Looked awesome in the FV, jet black with a tan foamy head! Would have liked to dry hop it but I read Fuggles or East Kent Goldings are best and I don't have any. I live near Paris and my nearest home brew shop is 2 hours drive away (in Belgium) so I need to plan ahead next time or pay 13€ postage. The wait begins,,, again :hat:

Transferred my Stout to a Corny yesterday after around 5 weeks in the FV, Gravity came down to 1010 works out at around 4.4 abv so not too bad ;-)
Had a little taste as you do and i'm very pleased with the result! a couple of weeks to condition with 8psi CO2 and I reckon it'll be a great pint :cheers:

Fermented for 2 weeks then dry hopped with 50g of East Kent Goldings for a week (though the bag for the hops was a little too small so not very efficient), I do like my stouts a little bitter though :twisted: Came out just over 5% ABV.
Bottled on the 28/11/14 with,,,,, 90g sugar, 25cl of Kahlua & 20cl of very strong espresso coffee :whistle: filled 49 bottles between 33cl and 66cl and enjoyed a couple of dumb **** mistakes and disasters in the process (the floor took some cleaning afterwards) :doh: Tastes awesome but,,, now, the wait...

Bottles have been kept warmish for 2 weeks and I chilled one overnight Friday and tried it Saturday. Awesome!!! Perfect carbonation, great head which lasted to bottom of glass and left nice lacing. Great coffee aroma and flavour. Slight home-brew smell but I'm sure this will disappear with time. Mouthfeel could be a little better for a stout but I'm being picky now and this may also improve. Very happy! Just need to keep my hands off them now :-o

I found after a few weeks the mouth feel was very much like guiness original - lovely!

Back