Re: St Peters Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow :p, this is getting tasty! Treated myself to another QC sample and it's great! Only the slightest hint on the nose that it's a homebrew. Head lacing and carbonation is great but just a little thin in the mouth but as Sloth says, this should improve :drink:. I'm so looking forward to getting into these!! In the new year I suppose :hmm:

This is my favourite homebrew kit to date. It's really good. My OG was 1044 and FG was 1015. It seems to take ages for the gravity to drop though. I started it on 5th December 2014. Took a reading on 11th December and was only 1022. Took another reading on 22nd December and was 1015. Instructions say should be at or below 1014 so I barrelled and bottled it at this gravity. It's now nearly all gone. :cry:

Just barreled this one, brewed it a few times now so felt it had enough body to brew long with a little extra dextrose to push the abv back up. Nothing clever, just around 500g and brewed to 21.5 litres.
Og 1051
5 days 1020
10 days 1014
13 days 1012
25 days 1010 (barreled, with 75g sugar)

It took a while, but got down there in the end! Now to carb and condition....

I see that you have some experience with this kit...I bought cream stout and red ruby ale but brewed red ruby ale last year than life make strange ways and cream stout stayed on shelf...Now its time to brew but i am not sure that yeast is ok after that time so i want to buy yeast as a backup if included ones isnt alive...

So i need your help which yeast to buy for this kit..?

This is a good tip, I have tried this myself to ascertain if there were any fermentables left after fermentation has ended early, no activity means nothing to ferment, at least lets you know if it's down to the yeast, or lack of fermentables.

I've picked this up as my first attempt at home-brew stout, I've done wine before but not any kind of beer. I've collected enough 500ml brown beer bottles (glass) so will be bottling it this time around. Are there any tips on making this into a successful brew using additions, or making slightly less to bring up the alcohol level slightly?

Guys (and gals),

I've had this in the FV for 18 days now, I was going to bottle or keg tonight but have thrown the instructions out. :whistle:

Can anyone tell me what they say about bottling, how much sugar/ dextrose do I need per bottle?

Thanks for any help,

Nial

About half a teaspoon per 500ml bottle is good for stouts. I did this kit with a full teaspoon per bottle last year and it was too fizzy for the style.

Hi,

I brewed this and bottled last week, using 2*160g Munton's carb drops per 500ml bottle. Left for 5 days in the warm closet and moved to to the cold in the shed to store for a month or more. I tried one the other day after a 2 days in the shed and it was pretty flat but tasted great. A bit worried and I know the instructions are usually vague but they said to leave in a warm place for 2 days and then 2 weeks in a cold place. I have moved all the bottles back inside and hoping they will carb up. Any reason to be worried or do they just need more time in the warm? Again, really nice smooth taste but slight sweetness which I would guess they need more time.

i love a thick creamy stout, what would be added to this kit to improve body and give a thick creamy taste . oats ? extra dark spray malt, i dont want more alcohol, just creamy body and taste

i love a thick creamy stout, what would be added to this kit to improve body and give a thick creamy taste . oats ? extra dark spray malt, i dont want more alcohol, just creamy body and taste

The spray malt would increase the alcohol content, and oats should really be mashed with base grains, which would also increase the alcohol. Lactose would work though.

Latest posts

Back