Re: St Peters Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to try this kit after sampling the finished product during the Summer, I'm not very experienced, this is only my second kit and I was hoping to get it a little stronger both the ABV and flavour, as I like thick stouts like Guinness Foreign.

I've read through the thread and see some brewers talking about adding an extra 500g of Dark Muscavado at the beginning and wanted to know if this should be dissolved first in some of the water or do you just chuck it in as it is and give a stir?

TIA

Ok so had an OG of 1047 and a week after it was 1017 so moved it into secondary after 12 days and still had a reading of 1017...

I added 300g of lactose will transferring to secondary but there just seems to be very little life and stuck on 1017, should I just leave it for a few days and take another reading or what??

Thanks

Could the density have risen because of the lactose?

I made this kit and it got stuck at about 1017. I left it 2 or 3 weeks in a secondary with very little movement, may to 1016. I primed and bottled in pet. It slowly got very fizzy. Tasted increasingly good. Not sure where it ended up but might be wise to use pet bottles to monitor carbonation and avoid bottle blasts.

Could the density have risen because of the lactose?

The answer is basically Yes. This amount of lactose can raise the OG and FG by 5-6 points, so you have about 75% attenuation of the rest, which is all fairly credible.

The post above from Mr Baggins (Bilbo or Frodo?) is useful and lends assurance to the notion that all is basically well.

I recently purchased the st peters stout kit and 500g LME. The og was 1.065 and its been fermenting at 65f for so far 10 days. I took a reading at 7 days which showed 1.04 and another at 10 days showing 1.04. I added 250g of lactose after I took the og.

Do you think the yeast could have stalled or could it be finished? It tastes good but seems very high fg. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Rather annoyingly beer kit manufacturers rarely give you enough yeast to guarantee a successful fermentation. As you have added LME to the kit and have a starting gravity of 1065 it is possible the yeast was too stressed to see through the fermentation to a lower final gravity reading. Assuming your reading of 1040 is correct, it might be worth adding some more yeast to see if you can finish off the fermentation. The Gervin ale yeast they sell in Wilkinsons (which is double the amount you get with a beer kit) should do the job.

Rather annoyingly beer kit manufacturers rarely give you enough yeast to guarantee a successful fermentation. As you have added LME to the kit and have a starting gravity of 1065 it is possible the yeast was too stressed to see through the fermentation to a lower final gravity reading. Assuming your reading of 1040 is correct, it might be worth adding some more yeast to see if you can finish off the fermentation. The Gervin ale yeast they sell in Wilkinsons (which is double the amount you get with a beer kit) should do the job.

I did wonder this I'm pretty sure the kit only comes with 6g. I'll take a hydrometer reading and see where it stands.

If it's still high I'll repitch with the wilko yeast. Would you rehydrate the yeast first? I did this with the kit yeast.

Rehydrating dry yeast is always the preferred option if you have the time.

It might also be worth siphoning the wort into a new sterilised FV before pitching the yeast.

Well I took a hydrometer reading and its coming out about 1.028. Tastes quite fizzy, I've risen the temperature to 71f in hope of some movement. Wondering if I'm jumping the gun adding more yeast?

Capture-2019-12-13-17-51-26-2.png

Found my last bottle of St. Peter’s cream stout kit. Brewed straight on the 10th Feb 2018, bottled 8th March 2018. Came in at
9976f910-0337-41c9-a391-0bf1ab1375eb-jpeg.23167
5.2% ish. So nearly 2 years in the bottle , incredible mouth feel & everything a cream stout should be. You could tweak this with a bit more lactose & some cocoa nibs but to be honest if I made it again I would age it & leave it 2 years & brew straight again. Cheers

Found my last bottle of St. Peter’s cream stout kit. Brewed straight on the 10th Feb 2018, bottled 8th March 2018. Came in at
9976f910-0337-41c9-a391-0bf1ab1375eb-jpeg.23167
5.2% ish. So nearly 2 years in the bottle , incredible mouth feel & everything a cream stout should be. You could tweak this with a bit more lactose & some cocoa nibs but to be honest if I made it again I would age it & leave it 2 years & brew straight again. Cheers
Nice - you're quite right, lactose and cocoa nibs work great with this beer, and I added a load of cherries to the mix, it came out beautifully though I think the cherries raised the ABV to something like 6.5% :)

This stout kicks coopers ass IMHO. I realise it's slightly unfair as one is half the price of the other and is a one can but the body and depth of the St Peters is another level.

My next batches are both of coopers stouts with lactose and extra dark DME, so will be interesting to see how they compare to this kit.

Has anyone who loves this kit, found another kit on par? There's so many stouts to try!!

I ordered this yesterday, can't wait for it to arrive and get brewing 😁
A quick question, should I follow the instructions and add the hop sachet at the start with the yeast or leave it a few days then add it?

Latest posts

Back