Re-starting surprise

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
I made a batch of Clove & Ginger back in February, using 2.5lbs demerera sugar, no other sweetening. It was an absolute devil to get going (even with the heat pad) and I had to make an O.J. starter to get it moving. Unfortunately, it stopped at 1.030 and would not shift. I gave it Re-start, and very slowly, it went down to 1.014. In the end, I gave up, put it in the garage with a bung in, to deal with later. It's been subjected to very high temperatures over the summer, and not shifted, or so I thought. On having a mosey today, I lifted the bung and it gave a slight pop. Put a bubbler on it, and it's going again (gently).

Has anyone had a similar experience? Quite suprised me. I'm now hopeful of fermenting it out, which would be great as it's a lovely wine for winter nights.

Hi Wynott.
This is quite common.

You are doing the right thing by letting it (slowly) finish.Some ingredients can inhibit or slow fermentation down,I believe blueberry's are another culprit in that regard.

Thanks - just as well I didn't try bottling it then :laugh8:
I did wonder if it might be the clove which was inhibiting progress, as the first time I made it, a similar but less pronounced thing happened.

I must learn a little more patience, or resort to WOWs!

Latest posts

Back