Re-using a dry hop in a second beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I have dry hopped a IPA with 100g of Punk'd hops (from CML) and I am wandering whether to re-use these in a 2nd IPA I am just about to dry hop in other words add the new dry hop to the old ones and dump them in to give extra flavour. Has anybody ever done this?

I would add new ones if it were me. They've soaked up and absorbed a lot of liquid from the first beer that I wouldn't want in my second beer.

they are a similar beers IPA's that's why I was going to do it this time. I would not do it on dissimilar beers

Fair comment. The only risk then is any contamination in one would be carried over to two. Probably low risk. I don't know the answer to this but how much hop characteristic do you think is left in used hops that it will make a positive impact on the second beer? It has to be somewhat diminished and left behind in the first beer. But I don't know that to be fact.

My thoughts exactly but I have read of people using the dry hops in their next beer for bittering etc. I also thought as I am not using them for the 2nd beer (not allowed for in the recipe) it has a new dry hop it may just add that little bit more rather than chucking them in the bin.

Only way to find out is split the batch use your idea on one and dry hop as normal on the other that's if you are in the position to do so
Unfortunately not in a position to do that but it would define if it does add or not. Can see a experiment in the future to see how much it does add although the dry hops are different so I maybe able to tell through taste if the 1st one adds anything

There must be some oils left in if not being boiled so definitely worth a shot

I am sure I have read that there is plenty left in hops after dry hopping just can't remember where

I’ve often wondered this too. I just kegged my Kveik NEIPA which had these dry hops in it. They were added after fermentation had finished 6 days ago having dropped the temperature to 15 degrees C. I’m sure they had so much more love to give 😥

07455611-EE06-4B36-9F7E-A6A1CDB4B227.jpeg

well I've done it so time will tell if it has the taste of Punk'd hops I have gained some taste. I am sure I have read that only a small amount of the hops is transferred when dry hopping or did I dream it

I would be concerned with the older hops adding extra astringency (and haze) via polyphenols but as you've done it I am curious how this turns out

Back in the day of getting more than one beer from a single large batch of grain, or "Parti-gyle" brewing, I think it was the custom to re-use the hops as well as the grain. On that premise, it may be more realistic to re-use expensive, high Alpha, US aroma hops for bittering, once the "good stuff" is gone out of the dry hop.

I would imagine this works well, but not done so yet myself.

I’ve often wondered this too. I just kegged my Kveik NEIPA which had these dry hops in it. They were added after fermentation had finished 6 days ago having dropped the temperature to 15 degrees C. I’m sure they had so much more love to give 😥

View attachment 44335
I have not done this, personally, but it should work. Dry hopping removes soluble aroma and taste compounds contained in hop oils but hop alpha-acids, which provide the bitterness, require prolonged boiling to make them soluble. To control bittering level, will need to know the dry weight of the wet hops you are adding to the boil.

I have re-used dry hops for making a hop tea but only for the same brew.

They certainly have a little more to give in boiling water but in my opinion theres not enough extra flavour for a second brew.

Just a update I did the re-use of the dry hops and yes it has worked I have got the extra taste from the previous dry hop and no extra bitterness that is noticeableathumb..

I took them out of one brew and put them straight in the new brew with a additional new dry hop for that brew. I can taste the old hops as they were a different hop combination in the second beer and I would say no noticeable extra bitterness from the re-used hops.
Ps the re-used hops were a 100g dry hop

Back