Re-using Heinekin/Desperadoes Supermarket Kegs..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMick

Reaction score
Well. I've just seen this video on YouTube that's got me thinking.

If I convert the keg by drilling a hole and somehow securing a 2litre pop bottle top as this guy has done in the first keg in the video, I reckon I can prime as normal and dispense through the top mounted nozzle. I don't even see the need to use the valve - the pop bottle top should hold the pressure caused by carbing the beer.

Has anyone tried this at all, and is it even possible? Seems like an ideal tinkering project/experiment while I wait for my brew to ferment..

I applaud his creativity. He was using the can with the bottle cap as a means to refill a regular can through the outlet.
Thing is - that wasn't cleaned, and heineken have a strange pressure can inside them that when empty could harbour all kinds of nasties.
I think it would be safer to use a simpler can set up that you can remove the bungs of and clean out. Maybe fit a valve that would allow a regular tap on it, and you could fit a valve stem right into that as you would get access through the bung hole to the inside.

Good point... Taking this a step further then, I think I could remove the CO2 canister through a larger screw cap - similar to those found on bags of brewing extract, then sterilise as normal.

I'll give it a go at the very least... That's what weekends are for!

Latest posts

Back