Re-using steriliser solution

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniboy0812

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

My wine is ready to bottle and recently saw someone suggesting to re-use the solution used to sterilise equipment.

I clean all my kit as soon as it’s finished with washing in hot soapy water and consider my kit to be very clean. With the cleanliness in mind is it actually good practice to re-use sterilser solution to use again as I normally tip it after one use.

Some tips would be great.

Wine is going into a secondary FV to clear then into 5L poly bags with taps as I have a wooden bag holder from Balliihoo a few years back.

No wonder they re-use it!! £33 per litre.

Bugger that!

Attachments

• 397FDF8B-DDA5-4230-B12F-62D7DA9D5641.jpeg
    397FDF8B-DDA5-4230-B12F-62D7DA9D5641.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 75
I clean all my kit as soon as it’s finished with washing in hot soapy water and consider my kit to be very clean. With the cleanliness in mind is it actually good practice to re-use sterilser solution to use again as I normally tip it after one use.

Some tips would be great.

I have used Milton tablets for years its a no rinse steriliser contact time is 15 minutes and it will sterilise your equipment up to 24 hours after first making a batch.

As for sterilisers that you can re-use the only one i know of is Star San i have never used it but it is popular with beer brewers as it is no rinse and lasts forever (slight exaggeration)

I use sodium metabisulphite, the same stuff in Campden tablets, at least the ones I use are. 2 ltrs with 3 teaspoons of smb last me a month, and I only replace it because it gets hair and fluff in it...I have hairy hands!

No wonder they re-use it!! £33 per litre.

Bugger that!
There's more than 10 years worth of sanitiser there bud.

I wouldn't buy as much as 1L though, 236ml will still last you years and will also be cheaper.

Last edited:
Also what I like about StarSan is you don't need to make loads up.
For instance, i put about 1.5ml in my 5 gallon fermentor, mixed with about 1 litre of water.
Put the lid on and shake it about for a minute, this mixture is then transferred to a bucket for strelising my airlock.

I still prefer to rinse though if i'm being honest.

Also what I like about StarSan is you don't need to make loads up.
For instance, i put about 1.5ml in my 5 gallon fermentor, mixed with about 1 litre of water.
Put the lid on and shake it about for a minute, this mixture is then transferred to a bucket for strelising my airlock.

I still prefer to rinse though if i'm being honest.
I bought one of these, store about 10L of starsan solution in it (makes it easier to lift). Cost less than £7 posted on eBay, is food grade plastic and air tight.

I know what you're saying about the rinsing, but there's really no need and it's potentially counter productive. Once I racked wort into an FV that was purposely to the absolute brim with foam and it didn't change a thing about the beer. Was very impressed.

Water Container.jpg

About 5 years ago, I bought 500ml of Neale's No Rinse Sanitiser (which I think is basically the same as Star San) and I reckon I've still got a good 350ml left. Cost me £15. I will have no hesitation when it comes to buying another one. Also, I have never reused the stuff and it will probably last me another 5 years, easy.

Back