Re using yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
The one time I collected yeast slurry and repitched into the next brew I had great results. I think I over pitched but as it was an American neutral strain I didn’t need to worry about losing character. I didn’t wash it. I just half filled a sanitised pint glass with yeast from the tap the fv after racking, and stuck it in the fridge.

So, as I find making starters a real pain, and have had issue with them, I’d like to start to reuse yeast where possible. However I have read that you shouldn’t repitch yeast from strong brews as the yeasties will be knackered.

I have bought two wyeast smack packs for use in a totally tropical ale that has an expected abs of 7% and an original gravity of 1062. Will this yeast be ok to use again if I scoop up some slurry?

I fill 2 sanitised primed bottles 1/3 full of trub, when the wort is ready I fill the bottle 3/4 with the new wort, give it a shake and tip it in. I rinse the bottle with wort again and in it goes. I've done this loads of times, I always do a second bottle but I've never once used it and fermentation always goes off like a rocket. The trub will keep in the fridge for a week or even two but take it out of the fridge 12 hours beforehand to bring it up to room temperature before using it.

The one time I collected yeast slurry and repitched into the next brew I had great results. I think I over pitched but as it was an American neutral strain I didn’t need to worry about losing character. I didn’t wash it. I just half filled a sanitised pint glass with yeast from the tap the fv after racking, and stuck it in the fridge.

So, as I find making starters a real pain, and have had issue with them, I’d like to start to reuse yeast where possible. However I have read that you shouldn’t repitch yeast from strong brews as the yeasties will be knackered.

I have bought two wyeast smack packs for use in a totally tropical ale that has an expected abs of 7% and an original gravity of 1062. Will this yeast be ok to use again if I scoop up some slurry?

I re-use yeast as a matter of routine. Basically the process is very simple.

Make an average sort of strength beer with the "mother" yeast - dry yeast or whatever.

Rack the "mother" brew after 2 weeks and keep a fairly generous amount of beer in the initial FV - say maybe even as much as a litre.

Give the trub and the green beer a good swirl and pour it into a sterile jug.

Then pour carefully through a sterile funnel into 4-6 sterile 250ml bottles that previously held lemonade or such.

These will keep very well in the fridge. The yeast does go into stasis in there and it does take longer and longer for the yeast to get started, but it is never slower than a dried yeast.

Green beer is much better than water to keep yeast under.

7% is not much of a stress for many yeasts. The experts can tell you if you let us know the exact strain.

Wyeast American ale. Two packs to be used on a 7% pale ale abv with starting gravity 1062. 19 litres of wort. Plan to resuse on a similar strength ipa.

In terms of method, Last time I just collected trub and stuck in the fridge in a sanitised glass. Pitched it two weeks later. Was I lucky? Are there inherent risks with such a simple method?

Ok so it is a fairly neutral sort of "house" or "go-to" yeast, good for up to 11% ABV

https://www.wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/american-ale,

As to your specific questions:
7% will not stress this strain unduly.
Your methodology of sticking the trub in a sanitised glass might be improved only by giving it some beer to sit under and covering it up as best as can (a bottle with a lid springs to mind).
Are there risks? Yes, you minimise these by sanitising everything that comes into contact with the yeast and keeping the rest of the world away from it. See - "lid" suggestion.

On the whole, I just don't see any issue at all with what you are suggesting. It will be fine! I only re-use from one brew to its many descendants, and don't re-use trub from a first descendant brew, due to the increased risk. Breweries do, though and have been doing so for hundreds of years.

ok cheers That’s good to know, may just put some sanitised cling film over the glass and have some residue beer in there too then. Will probably only repitch once and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back