Re-using yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASK

Reaction score
I've read commercial brewers set several batches on the same yeast in the fv consecutively, is anyone keeping back some sediment from good brews and using it as a starter for the next?. I also read that kits are often short on yeast and age can be an issue so this could solve both points in one

You can certainly re-use the yeast from your previous batch but if you're working with dried yeast I don't think it's worth it, particularly if you're working with kit beers. If you're worried about the quality/condition of the yeast that comes with the kit, you could always purchase some good dried yeast separately and pitch that instead. Similarly, if you fancy spending a bit more you could swap in a pitch of liquid yeast. If your pouch is fresh and the OG of your kit is on the low side you'd be fine to pitch direct. Then you could look to harvest some of the yeast from that fermentation.

Lots of people on the forum pitch some of the previous brew's yeast cake in the next brew. If you're conscious of the cost of your brews then the cost of a packet of dried yeast is a significant part of a brew. Especially so if you're using one of those smack pack things. Even with something like SO4 or US-05 which cost about £3 a packet, that's quite a lot in a brew that otherwise would only cost you a fiver.

I usually use dried yeast, sometimes I grow yeast up from bottle conditioned beers and very rarely buy liquid yeast. I normally make a starter for every sort. Even dried yeast. I make 10L brews and use 1g per starter so can make a pack of yeast last ten brews

I often re-use yeast - and get good results. Particularly with Kveik. So in theory I probably never need to buy yeast which does save a bit - in practice I keep buying new yeast to try!

That sounds brilliant. I love the idea of saving money... I'm From Yorkshire originally.

I find 1g in 600ml of starter plenty for a 10L brew so for a full brew I'd double it to 2g (may be add 2.5g the first time you try it, to make sure there's enough yeast)

I also found this also means I have loads of different dried yeasts to choose from in my freezer. Built up over a number of months, as I randomly buy the odd packet of yeast I like the sound of here and there

I find 1g in 600ml of starter plenty for a 10L brew so for a full brew I'd double it to 2g (may be add 2.5g the first time you try it, to make sure there's enough yeast)

I also found this also means I have loads of different dried yeasts to choose from in my freezer. Built up over a number of months, as I randomly buy the odd packet of yeast I like the sound of here and there
This sounds great - do you mind sharing what sort of OG you are pitching onto, and how long you run the starter for?

I brew 10L batches and have previously been using half a pack of US-05... I’m switching to kveik and plan to top-crop, but any way of getting more yeast from a pack would be really handy

This sounds great - do you mind sharing what sort of OG you are pitching onto, and how long you run the starter for?

I brew 10L batches and have previously been using half a pack of US-05... I’m switching to kveik and plan to top-crop, but any way of getting more yeast from a pack would be really handy

My normal OG's are 1.040 or less as I like lower 'session ales'. But I strongly suspect this is a bit of an over pitch as I get a strong, vigourous fermentations. I usually 'run' my starter for 3 days or more prior to pitching. I dont have stir plate and just put it in a DJ and shake it vigorously several times per day

My normal OG's are 1.040 or less as I like lower 'session ales'. But I strongly suspect this is a bit of an over pitch as I get a strong, vigourous fermentations. I usually 'run' my starter for 3 days or more prior to pitching. I dont have stir plate and just put it in a DJ and shake it vigorously several times per day
Brilliant - thanks!

Thanks for all the replies.
Since i am not so scientific, any reason in principle why i cant bottle one brew and just spoon the yeast from the bottom of vessel 1 direct to new FV vessel 2?!??

Don't see any reason why not.
I am a total heathen and just pitch my new batch directly into the FV the last batch came out of. Best to check that the first one is ok though, as if not you've got 2 spoiled batches.
I generally throw away or save half or more of the 'yeast cake' of the original batch. If you used the lot that would probably be a big 'over pitch' (though I have done that before too and it was fine).

Thanks for all the replies.
Since i am not so scientific, any reason in principle why i cant bottle one brew and just spoon the yeast from the bottom of vessel 1 direct to new FV vessel 2?!??
This can be done, but I agree with @nixhaz make sure the beer has come out well and bacteria/wild yeast free. An entire yeast cake may be a bit much but it might be worth saving half in sterilised jars so you have some as backup.

Something to consider, if you make lager or IPA or a style which has neutral yeast character, high cell count is good and so adding more slurry will be beneficial.

Also of you plan on reusing yeast, just make sure to be extra careful with sanitisation. If you bottle from the FV don't leave the lid off, make sure anything which comes in contact with the beer is well sanitised.

IMG_20200530_075617_hdr.jpg

So saved FV bottom from bottling yesterday, settled out with 3 sections as ive read about, but 'creamy' bit which is supposed to be the yeast on the bottom, i thought this was supposed to settle in the middle!
So i discard the 'beer' from the top and discard down to the creamy base layer and re-ferment with this portion, right?

View attachment 26726
So saved FV bottom from bottling yesterday, settled out with 3 sections as ive read about, but 'creamy' bit which is supposed to be the yeast on the bottom, i thought this was supposed to settle in the middle!
So i discard the 'beer' from the top and discard down to the creamy base layer and re-ferment with this portion, right?
Did you give it a good shake, the heavier trub should drop to the bottom.

Did you give it a good shake, the heavier trub should drop to the bottom.
was swilled from FV into x2 glasses n put directly into the fridge overnight. From pics ive seen on various reading, should have been 'heavy' part (with bits) bottom, yeast (creamy) middle, fluid at top. Looks like creamy is on the bottom for me, n.b. this is a kit brew.☺

was swilled from FV into x2 glasses n put directly into the fridge overnight. From pics ive seen on various reading, should have been 'heavy' part (with bits) bottom, yeast (creamy) middle, fluid at top. Looks like creamy is on the bottom for me, n.b. this is a kit brew.☺
What I do is similar to you. Recover about 3/4 pint trub into a pint glass, then off to fridge covered with cling film. When I want to use the yeast I pour off any liquid, then take about 4 good table spoons off the top of the trub and pitch that. Anything that comes into contact with the yeast is sanitised. And I only keep the trub for about 2 weeks before I discard, and will only use 3 generations before I start again with fresh yeast. It might not be too scientific but it works for me.

Latest posts

Back