Re: Wilko's Delicate Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah too true mate
I have wrapped round my fv some emergency foil blankets that the RAC gave SWMBO last year in case the car broke down:party:
I have set the high tech heating instrument to 20 degrees.
I assume it will only switch on at night as temp dips.
Now,I just need to put some blankets in the car.....just in case ....;-)

Sorry indeed if this sounds a bit picky or patronising, but blanket, then foil wrapper might be the way to go on the FV. The foil will protect from draughts better than a blanket and a blanket gives the insulation the foil can't.

Hi tech kit will be fine with this approach, until the Autumn is turning Winter, I'm fairly sure.

I'm aiming to do this kit next and could do with some advice.
Is it worth brewing this with lager yeast if it's going to be fermented at higher than usual lager temps? The bucket usually sits at 17-18c. Or should I just use the ale yeast if I can't ferment it cooler?

Also I'd like to try using hops for the first time. What would be a good sort to add, and when should I add them? I'm presuming pellets would be fine for this, but will be glad of any pointers.

Thanks in advance.

I've done this kit 8+ times with the provided (ale) yeast and also S-23, also hopped it with Saaz and plain.
When I've used S-23 lager yeast I've kept it around 13degC for fermentation and it worked out very nice but I also like the kit with its regular yeast which I brew around 20degC (and required less time to ferment out).

So to answer your questions...
I'd save the money and use the yeast supplied brewing it around 20degC
Saaz works well with this for a hop - I generally use freeze dried hops in a bag for 5-7 days prior to bottling.

Good luck
Stuart

Forgot to mention, I've only previously brewed 2 can malt kits or added spray malt to 1 can kits, never sugar. I notice most here do this kit with half and half. Is that better than all malt for something pilsner style?

I find too much brew enhancer takes away from the clean fresh taste and so I usually go 1kg brewing sugar and 500g brew enhancer - I don't know the make-up of brew enhancer but I suspect it's half malt at most.

I find too much brew enhancer takes away from the clean fresh taste and so I usually go 1kg brewing sugar and 500g brew enhancer - I don't know the make-up of brew enhancer but I suspect it's half malt at most.

50/50 medium DME and dextrose. I completely agree too much enhancer ruins it. It makes it into an ale. I brewed a Wilko golden lager with 1.7kg dextrose and it was one of the best lagers I've made. Lager is meant to be light!

Bought two cans of Wilko's Light Pilsner this morning. I'm going for the 2 can approach and will add brewing sugar. Hoping to get it up to around 5 - 5.5%, so how much sugar will I need to add if I'm doing 23l?
This has been in the bottle for over a month now, best beer I've done so far, no "homebrew" taste, nicely carbonated, very easy to drink. I dry hopped with 30g of saaz and it seems to have worked ok. Next time it's on offer I'll do this again.

I've just started this kit,forgot the brewing sugar on our weekly shop so substituted it with 2kgs Tate an Lyle :-P. I'm normally a wine or stout drinker, and a citrus larger now and then is kinda nice,and I've read on here that this kit makes a brill base for that. Start SG is 1052 so should have a little kick. I'll keep ya posted

I've just started this kit,forgot the brewing sugar on our weekly shop so substituted it with 2kgs Tate an Lyle :-P. I'm normally a wine or stout drinker, and a citrus larger now and then is kinda nice,and I've read on here that this kit makes a brill base for that. Start SG is 1052 so should have a little kick. I'll keep ya posted

That will be a strong brew with 2kg of sugar:eek:

SG is down to 1010 and still fizzing away nicely. Had a very sneaky taste when I was checking and tastes really nice,still yeasty as you'd expect but not really sweet. Tasted a little like hoegaarden. A couple more days and I'll add some finings. Can't wait!!

Really impressed by this kit, made it with 1kg dextrose and 500g medium SME and it's came out as a very easy drinking brew. I'd say it's more of a light ale than a lager but that's better for me anyway.

Well,finings added and left to settle for a few days and its still cloudy. What I want to no is If I bottle it now and allow it to condition, will I be asking for problems? Thanks for your help

Hi all right got this kit on the go (first one ) im hoping to bottle with a collection of bottles and not use the barrel. do i bottle and avoid the sediment when poring to glass to drink or what do you advise ? thanks

You will get sediment in the bottles but you can minimise this by allowing the yeast to settle out for a while in the FV, and putting it somewhere cold helps. Some yeasts stick to the bottle well, others don't. Pour the whole bottle in one go or you'll drag the sediment up when you stand the bottle up. Leave about a centimeter in the bottle, depending on how much sediment there is and how loose it is. If you have light shining through the bottle you can see the sediment move at the end of the pour and catch it before it leaves the bottle.

I make this kit alot as swmbo likes it.
I dont mess with this one just use 1kg of dextrose and the kit yeast, makes a nice light clear lager. I prime with a good teaspoon of dex per bottle and it comes out lively with a good head. Ideal as an after work thirst quencher.
To those reviews that say it comes out more of a light ale than a lager but have added extra malt extract either in bke or lme, theres your reason there.
I believe this kit is meant to be light and lively so keep it as it is and bottles all the way.

hoping somebody can help me here,

I brewed this @ 23L with 1kg of brewing sugar and about 250g of DME.

FG: 0.002 (seems a bit low?)

when i asked the other half what OG she recorded down on brew day she came at me with 1.080

obviously that is an insane OG, and I remember vaguely seeing the hydrometer being in the colour coded section and not bobbing all the way out of the measuring cylinder... im thinking she meant 1.008.. putting this at less than 1%abv

im going to check the hydrometer for accuracy. but can anybody tell me what their OG was if they did something close to my recipe?

the little taster i had when measuring the OG certainly tasted a lot more alcoholic than 0.79%

Back