Ready made.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I might of contributed to that. 3 pounds for a large cup of pick & mix. It turned into an art form. The good old days 😄😄
The pick&mix was too handy but enjoyed old woollies as they had a variety of stuff, clothes, food, music even mobiles as I mind buying a Motorola from there.

Any big stores selling the canned kits? K. Mart? They would be approachable surely.
I think you are overestimating the popularity of Homebrew in the U.K. a very niche market and there are only 2 “mainstream” stores that sell Homebrew gear:
  • Wilko - a budget hardware store. I don’t have one local to me, and the only one I’ve ever been in (in the Metro Centre, Newcastle, which is one of the biggest indoor shopping malls in the U.K.) didn’t stock Homebrew gear.
  • The Range - a budget homeware/craft store. My local branch doesn’t stock Homebrew kits, but when I worked in Perth I used to sometimes pop in to the store there for bottles etc. Their Homebrew section was literally the end of a row - 3 or 4 kits, some fermenting buckets and boxes of swing top bottles. They have scaled back their Homebrew range over the last year or so, discontinuing kits etc

Boots and Tesco have in the past, but it’s been about 20 years since Boots stopped their range, and maybe 4-5 years since Tesco did.

Last edited:
I think you are overestimating the popularity of Homebrew in the U.K. a very niche market and there are only 2 “mainstream” stores that sell Homebrew gear:
  • Wilko - a budget hardware store. I don’t have one local to me, and the only one I’ve ever been in (in the Metro Centre, Newcastle, which is one of the biggest indoor shopping malls in the U.K.) didn’t stock Homebrew gear.
  • The Range - a budget homeware/craft store. My local branch doesn’t stock Homebrew kits, but when I worked in Perth I used to sometimes pop in to the store there for bottles etc. Their Homebrew section was literally the end of a row - 3 or 4 kits, some fermenting buckets and boxes of swing top bottles. They have scaled back their Homebrew range over the last year or so, discontinuing kits etc

Boots and Tesco have in the past, but it’s been about 20 years since Boots stopped their range, and maybe 4-5 years since Tesco did.
Lakeland stores also do HB gear

Lakeland stores also do HB gear
I thought they’d stopped? A former colleague of mine contacted me to ask where to get wine yeast a couple of years back because Lakeland stopped their Homebrew range and his mother makes wine.

EDIT - just been on their website, looks like they still do the Muntons Brew-in-a-Bag extract kits but no yeast, pressure barrels, bottles, bottle caps etc like they did 3-4 years ago.

I thought they’d stopped? A former colleague of mine contacted me to ask where to get wine yeast a couple of years back because Lakeland stopped their Homebrew range and his mother makes wine.

EDIT - just been on their website, looks like they still do the Muntons Brew-in-a-Bag extract kits but no yeast, pressure barrels, bottles, bottle caps etc like they did 3-4 years ago.

Boyes sell a few kits (wine and beer) and also stock yeasts.

https://www.boyes.co.uk/storelocator/

I’ve taken the odd firkin of fresh wort home from a brewery where I help out then pitched the yeast at home, fermented it in cask then served it from the same cask. This worked well and the beer was clear, tasty and true to type. I‘ve discussed making fresh wort available commercially with the head brewer - this could work on a pre-booked basis, for collection on brewday, as the head brewer wouldn’t want the microbiological risk of storing cooled, unpitched wort, and it would be a faff to extract unpitched wort from a normal 17 barrel (ca 2800L) batch . I understand from one of @foxy’s posts on another thread that in Australia fresh wort is, generally, packed hot into no-chill cubes - this would be difficult in the brewery where I work and for small quantities probably not worthwhile.

On that note.. do you lads over there reuse the the containers as no chill cubes?
I never did, they are 15 litre cubes with 2 litre head space, I used the 20 litre with 3 litre head space so I could fill it with a 23 litre batch.
A lot of the guys use a jerry can because they can squeeze the air out with their knees.

oh right, fair enough mate. Not even really sure why I asked that question!! I think the tight **** in me sensed a freebie bonus!!

I really am surprised there are no home brewers knocking them out over there, good way to make a bit of money while enjoying your hobby. As long as it's not overdone, it then becomes a chore and less enjoyable.

I really am surprised there are no home brewers knocking them out over there, good way to make a bit of money while enjoying your hobby. As long as it's not overdone, it then becomes a chore and less enjoyable.
It wouldn't pay you not unless you have a 200 litre system

I am not an expert but brewing is very time consuming. Local bar to me which the brother runs tried brewing their own. Unfortunately it didn't work out for them, now they contract out and rebrand it as their own.

It wouldn't pay you not unless you have a 200 litre system
I know two home brewers, one uses a 50 litre BM the other a 100 litre system in his garage which really is something. He does shift work one week on and one week off so when he's off he gets quite a few orders made.

I know two home brewers, one uses a 50 litre BM the other a 100 litre system in his garage which really is something. He does shift work one week on and one week off so when he's off he gets quite a few orders made.
What is he charging

Latest posts

Back