Reality Check: Could High Court ruling on Article 50 scupper Brexit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you say although "the people" voted no it is a practical impossibility for 17 million people to gather , agree terms and push through legislation to take us out, that way chaos lies. this is why we have a Parliamentary democracy system with Parliament supposedly putting the will of the people into action.

I am not suggesting that MPs should ignore this vote but there are lots of issues in the past where MPs once elected freely do ignore the will of the people sometimes good and sometimes bad. For instance I reckon if you asked "the people" if you wanted to bring back hanging for certain offences* you would probably get a yes but MPs have consistently voted against this, is that not denying the will of the people?
This is one of the reasons why we tend not to have referenda and certainly not binding as "the people" do not always know best.

* I am not suggesting that we should bring back hanging it's just an example ( well maybe just for publicans who sell bad pints!)

Fox hunting would have been a pretty good example. As far as I know the vast majority are not in favour but the government is fairly likely to re-legalise it.

Lord Rothermere, the great grandfather of the current owner of the Daily Mail.

Cwk3p2rWQAAUBUV.jpg

Hitler must be delighted standing next to the owner of the Daily Mail!, makes him look much less of a fascist!

I can tell you're a civil servant with no concept of the real world where businesses have to compete to make a profit and survive.

Met someone last night that lived in Italy, their council tax is �£120 a year.
Here its �£2000 for the same sized house.

Nothing but cockroach parasites the lot of them.

I am a nurse. So should we not have nurses, doctors or teachers in your utopia?? Or any nationalised industry?

My council tax is zero.

I have every knowledge of the 'real world' - I have mostly worked in Industry and Independent health care sectors, as well as latterly in the NHS.

I would politely suggest that you have an axe to grind here so I will bow out of your Vision of a Utopia - Or a dystopia as I would see it.

Come on, keep it civil guys.

But to catch the point in the discussion, it is good that the goverment does not immediately accepts every desire of the people. You have to realize that a significant portion of "the people" is the kind of people you wouldn't chat with on a party. A Cambridge professor has different priorities than a welsh sheep herder, nord irish factory worker or a scottish distiller. One should not be able to directly influence decisions for the other. That you can find 1 million fishermen to vote about using codfish instead of hops in beer brewing does not always mean they know what they are talking about.

Real example Germany ~2005; If you have a 20 highly skilled doctors that get paid a lot of money, more than the MP. Should the salary (more or less public money as it's paid by healthcare) be cut to lower standards? The people voted yes as they were choosing with their guts, not their brain. The government overruled it and didn't implement a salary ceiling, as putting in a limit would reduce the top salaries from >1 million to 185K.

These were top neuro surgeons, ground breaking oncologists, super cardiac surgeons etc that could easily work abroad or teach at prestigious Universities. The government choose to invest and to keep that knowledge in the country. If it was like people wanted, there would be a large chance we would of lost them to carreers abroad.

I can tell you're a civil servant with no concept of the real world where businesses have to compete to make a profit and survive.

Met someone last night that lived in Italy, their council tax is £120 a year.
Here its £2000 for the same sized house.

Nothing but cockroach parasites the lot of them.

The whole point of being a "civil servant" is there are incentives to do jobs such as be a nurse in an environment where jobs are not secure because of constant budget pressure and scrutiny from the outside world. For instance, I work with children with severe learning difficulties and behavioural problems. Whilst it can be a rewarding job I get assaulted frequently and covered in someone else's bodily fluids on a daily basis. If I worked for the private company business model which you are talking about (which I have done) I would work 36 hour shifts with no sleep and get minimum wage for it. Strangely enough, that is how mistakes and abuse happens. It is because of opinions like this that bad practice is allowed to go on in the private sector as it is cheaper and (some) public opinion dictates it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back