Really dumb pressure question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to understand all this sort of Physics stuff, and maybe because it's late on a Saturday it's beyond me, however, I just looked up what Atmospheric Pressure was in PSI and it's 14.7psi. But wait, when I set my regulator to 10psi and charge a keg, pulling the prv releases gas. How does this happen if the pressure of the gas outside the keg is higher than inside? :confused.:

I used to understand all this sort of Physics stuff, and maybe because it's late on a Saturday it's beyond me, however, I just looked up what Atmospheric Pressure was in PSI and it's 14.7psi. But wait, when I set my regulator to 10psi and charge a keg, pulling the prv releases gas. How does this happen if the pressure of the gas outside the keg is higher than inside? :confused.:

It's the difference between 'gauge' pressure and 'absolute' pressure.

Gauge pressure is the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure, this is what you have on your regulator.

Absolute pressure is the true value, this is the 14.7psi you have for atmospheric pressure.

The regulator pressure would be 24.7psi absolute pressure.

It's the difference between 'gauge' pressure and 'absolute' pressure.

Gauge pressure is the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure, this is what you have on your regulator.

Absolute pressure is the true value, this is the 14.7psi you have for atmospheric pressure.

The regulator pressure would be 24.7psi absolute pressure.
Thank you, that makes perfect sense. Much appreciated athumb..

Latest posts

Back