Really Stoopid Design

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought my son a brew kit, Bin, barrel etc from a very popular HB site, so he could make his own beer and develop a hobby. Anyway, he has left it all in my garage whilst he moves house, so I thought I would use the barrel.
Well, would you believe it...you can't get your hand in it to clean the bloody thing. What muppet came up with that design and what stoopid company sells them???
In Wilkos yesterday, and even they brag about the wider neck on their FV. Anyway, getting the thing clean enough and guaranteed clean enough for 20L of brew is a nitemare.:-?

Yeah, they are annoying, I got one on the cheap but haven't used it yet and it seems the bloke didn't clean it before storage. The advice I was given was seems to be to nuke it with oxy and it'll come out sparkling.

@Chippy_Tea is keen on his drill powered DJ cleaner. I beileve you can get them for FV's too. I'll let CT post a link as I cant remeber what they're called or where they are bought from

I bought my son a brew kit, Bin, barrel etc from a very popular HB site, so he could make his own beer and develop a hobby. Anyway, he has left it all in my garage whilst he moves house, so I thought I would use the barrel.
Well, would you believe it...you can't get your hand in it to clean the bloody thing. What muppet came up with that design and what stoopid company sells them???
In Wilkos yesterday, and even they brag about the wider neck on their FV. Anyway, getting the thing clean enough and guaranteed clean enough for 20L of brew is a nitemare.:-?
But all the budget barrels are like that! They've been around for years. I use one dated 1982 which I acquired!
It's probably cos its cheaper to make a barrel with a 50mm opening and cap rather than a 100mm one.
As soon as my 50mm cap PBs are empty they get properly washed out including a brushing with a long handle brush, then sterilised with bleach, and then left sealed up until I need to reuse them. Not had any problems so far.
Years ago I had one of the old Boots 100mm cap barrels and I had more trouble getting that to seal than with my current ones.
So like most things in life 'yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice', since there are pros and cons for both types.

But all the budget barrels are like that! They've been around for years. I use one dated 1982 which I acquired!
It's probably cos its cheaper to make a barrel with a 50mm opening and cap rather than a 100mm one.
As soon as my 50mm cap PBs are empty they get properly washed out including a brushing with a long handle brush, then sterilised with bleach, and then left sealed up until I need to reuse them. Not had any problems so far.
Years ago I had one of the old Boots 100mm cap barrels and I had more trouble getting that to seal than with my current ones.
So like most things in life 'yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice', since there are pros and cons for both types.
I didn't know that, Terry. I shan't be making that mistake again, thats for sure.

Thats rubbish Chippy!!!!!!!
I'm going to employ a very small disabled midget from the Oxfam shop to climb inside to do the job properly...
there you go...
employment for the disadvantaged ..
satisfaction all round!!

Well if you have no luck employing a cleaner i would recommend the drill attachment, i use the DJ version and now don't struggle to get the baked on crud from inside the shoulder of the DJ, i used to struggle with a bottle brush and it used to take ages to get them clean.

Swirling liquid is your friend - it is a bit of work out but it means you have earned a beer or two afterwards :-)

When sanitising I half to two thirds fill mine with vwp and swirl several times giving a 5-10min rest before draining most through the pb tap (ideally into bottles that need a clean) and then slowly rotating the last quarter or so through the top before repeating with clean water to rinse.

I had a batch of Scottish heavy in pb1 for almost a year and did the above with a weak bleach solution to ensure it was clean before sanitising ahead of its next use.

Back