Rebottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For background, I brewed a few weeks back and with only having 500g of malt leftover I used a bag of DME to compensate (a mistake in hindsight) but since it was only a 1 gallon batch it ended up at like 7% abv. I did my usual assortment of different sized bottles, some 330 and some 500 and one 660, but given the strength and slight sickly nature of this brew, the larger sizes are too big and I want to rebottle them into 330s for a more manageable size.

The question is how do I go about rebottling, would I pour the whole lot into a bucket and reprime or try to remove the CO2 by stirring and then reprime, or simply try to pour or siphon each of the bottles into smaller bottles and reprime or not? Not sure how to approach it.

I know I could simply not have a full bottle each time but that's not the same experience as cracking a bottle and pouring it out.

Cheers

Last edited:
My 2 pence, but I would not rebottle it all. BUT I would split the 660 into 2 330s, just to see if it could be done. And the .5, that should keep good in the fridge for 2 nights. Not the optimum experience, but what can you do.

My 2 pence, but I would not rebottle it all. BUT I would split the 660 into 2 330s, just to see if it could be done. And the .5, that should keep good in the fridge for 2 nights. Not the optimum experience, but what can you do.
I rebeottled the 660 into two 330s, the only difficulty being the head foaming, unsurprisingly. Going to open one of them later to see how it held up, if anything it seemed overcarbed so it might be ok

I rebeottled the 660 into two 330s, the only difficulty being the head foaming, unsurprisingly. Going to open one of them later to see how it held up, if anything it seemed overcarbed so it might be ok

I assume you rebottled cold, what I would have done was pour into a chilled measuring cup (or something else that pours out of easily) and fill the chilled .33 bottles. Just to keep most of the co2 in the beer. Don't forget to take pictures to show the final result of how these beers turn out in the glass!

From the above I would chill the beers right down before transferring to the smaller bottles. That should calm things down. I would probably not try to reprime but roll with it and see what happens. Just seen the above post. Agree. Everything cold should help.

Seems obvious now but no I didnt chill, literally decanted the 660 into each with a sanitised funnel and swirled the last dregs to put the yeast sediment into each bottle. I suppose it could be an opportunity to remove some of the sediment but may affect the carbonation.

It's not too bad, less carbonated than before and would be carbonated about right for an IPA or bitter but I think this one is better with a bit more fizz. I'll try it again from chilled. This is a much better size for it as it's got like a candy thing going on from the boiled DME which is a bit sickly.

Cheers

20200831_163301.jpg

Last edited:
Back