Recapping bottles half way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn81

Reaction score
I'm a first time homebrewer and I made the schoolboy error of using my old Peroni beer bottles and caps. The caps haven't really taken well (I assume they're a one-time-only seal) and I've ordered new caps online. I bottled the beer late on Saturday with carbonation drops. The new caps will come Wednesday-friday,so potentially 6 days after original bottling. I'm sure the bottles will be leaking CO2 until then and when I open them to replace the caps they'll lose even more. So, is the brew ruined or will it carbonate ok over the following week? Should I add another drop to the bottles? Or keep them bottled for 2 weeks from the secondary capping?

Any advice much appreciated

I've used old caps before- just for a laugh I bottled a batch of lager with Guinness caps. I boiled them in water for a couple of minutes, which won't have done anything to improve the seals, and then primed and capped as normal, giving the bottle half a twist and applying the capper again just to be sure. I didn't get any leaks or flat bottles. I suggest that if you've been a bit hesitant about rally cramping them down, one or two might leak a bit, but the rest should be fine. If it were me, I'd leave the batch for a fortnight and then open one or two of the bottles. If there's a bit of a fizz then the seal was good. Two weeks isn't always enough to complete carbonation so cap them back down and leave them- I leave them for 6 weeks.

+1 on above.
Too early to tell if they are holding pressure.
Not only that if you recap and add more priming sugar before the first lot has been consumed you may end up with overpressurised beer.

Latest posts

Back