Recapping overcarbonated beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmc

Reaction score
Hi all,

This may sound like a stupid question but...

I have bottled a batch of homebrew in german style swing tops. The beer is very tasty but a bit over carbonated for my taste. Lesson learned for next time but I am wondering, any reason why I can't pop all of the tops to let a bit of the pressure out?

After the initial pop you get, I imagine it would reduce pressure and leave a bit more head area for new carbon dioxide to escape the beer during storage. My concern is that the beer might go bad if it is opened, closed and then not consumed for another week or two. I certainly would consider taking the cap off a commercial beer, recapping it and then waiting for another two weeks to drink it but I don't know if there is any logic to that or not.

I should add that these beers don't gush or explode or anything like that. Just too gassy for me.

So should I just put up with a batch thats a bit over fizzy or should I pop them all and then reseal them and stick them back in the fridge?

Hi all,

This may sound like a stupid question but...

I have bottled a batch of homebrew in german style swing tops. The beer is very tasty but a bit over carbonated for my taste. Lesson learned for next time but I am wondering, any reason why I can't pop all of the tops to let a bit of the pressure out?

After the initial pop you get, I imagine it would reduce pressure and leave a bit more head area for new carbon dioxide to escape the beer during storage. My concern is that the beer might go bad if it is opened, closed and then not consumed for another week or two. I certainly would consider taking the cap off a commercial beer, recapping it and then waiting for another two weeks to drink it but I don't know if there is any logic to that or not.

I should add that these beers don't gush or explode or anything like that. Just too gassy for me.

So should I just put up with a batch thats a bit over fizzy or should I pop them all and then reseal them and stick them back in the fridge?
I wouldn't fully open. You should be able to tilt the head of the cap to break the seal. You may have to do it a few times to get the level you are looking for. My advice would be to try one bottle first to get an idea of the level of carbonation your looking for.

If you chill them overnight in a fridge you may be able to unclip then re seal them while holding the top on, so you are only letting CO2 out and not fully uncapping them you should be ok.
This will let a bit out but not as much as them being room temperature.

Thanks for the info folks. I based on the cautious answers I have gotten, I think I will just drink them over carbonated. I like the jug suggestion but I don't have a decent glass jug for that purpose.

Thanks again

I wouldn't fully open. You should be able to tilt the head of the cap to break the seal. You may have to do it a few times to get the level you are looking for. My advice would be to try one bottle first to get an idea of the level of carbonation your looking for.
The OP is using swing tops. There's no good reason why @gmc shouldn't pop them open and then reseal them: two or three times, if necessary, until a satisfactory degree of carbonation has been achieved. Others on this thread seem to be talking about crown caps unless I've missed something.

When I'm drinking a bottle beer, which I prefer to drink as if it were from a cask, I'll pour it into a jug or even pour my second pint at the same time as first and let it warm and flatten a little.

I have had over carbonisation issues and in the end I just release the pressure on a regular basis. Most are in screw top PET bottles. I am slowly learning a 'thumb test' - pressing on the bottle and checking the pressure required to indent the bottle.
I tend to release over pressure in about 4 -6 bottles at a time if its needed - the bottles that are about to be consumed. Chilling well helps to control the 'fizz'

Chilling well helps to control the 'fizz'
Indeed it does, but not all beers are at their best chilled. Bitters in particular. I think using PETs is a great idea for beers which are going to be consumed within a few months. Longer storage of beers which need to age really needs bottles. Even Kegs are not ideal. Who wants to tie up a keg for 6 to 9 months while the beer ages?

Yes I meant when releasing the extra fizz not when drinking! Only yesterday I complained at a pub that they were serving the beer too cold - It would have been cold even for the 'larger' they dish out. I agree long storage cap in glass.

I think, theoretically, the beer should not be cold when releasing the gas. The colder the liquid the more gas stays dissolved.
I have done the gas release from over carbonated beer with no noticeable side effects, though the beer was gone about 3 weeks later, so I can't really say anything about longer term effects.

Latest posts

Back