Recently I really lack head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirebladeAdam

Regular.
Reaction score
The last couple of batches I've done seem to not have the same head and head retention as usual. I'm worried about sanitation maybe? I've done a brown beer and a wheat beer and I haven't done anything different to usual, but the beers are lacking head retention. What's going on? Could it be down to my recent introduction of treating my water with sodium metabisulphate? Or some crappy infection?
Despite the thread title my marriage is fine, but thanks for thinking of me 😉

I've never suffered a lack of hygiene or a lack of head. I do agree however the two may be intrinsically linked. I don't think it's responsible for the current 'drought' though... Any ideas?

I remember MyQul suggesting that if you cannot get good head use a syringe, i cannot remember where he said to put the syringe or how big it needs to be. :confused.:

Lets start with basics Adam has anything changed, have you washed the glass in a different way. Could the missus have started putting the glass in the dishwasher which I found out mine was doing without telling me

No I haven't washed the glasses differently, in fact I have had the same idea and sanitised a pint glass before rinsing it and using it. Very little lacing instead of the usual. Bit bizarre really as I have had no issues at all! Ever... I wondered if anyone else has any experience of suddenly getting no foamy wonderfulness

The last couple of batches I've done seem to not have the same head and head retention as usual. I'm worried about sanitation maybe? I've done a brown beer and a wheat beer and I haven't done anything different to usual, but the beers are lacking head retention. What's going on? Could it be down to my recent introduction of treating my water with sodium metabisulphate? Or some crappy infection?
Seen the title and first thought was don't worry it's just old age catching up 😂

Have you been getting better at removing proteins from your mash and boil? If you've been chasing efficiency you may have inadvertently been getting better at making fermentable wort... that is too clean and devoid ofv said that helps head retention. (I say "stuff" as I'm a bit vague in the science, but it seems that it is possible to focus too much on clear and fermentable wort).

Cushyno you might be onto something there. I'm a bit lazy with numbers and tend not to measure for OG and FG! I know .. I don't mind how strong or weak it is. So perhaps that's it. I do get complaints about the strength of it, from my wife and her sister whom I quote 'i can't feel my face'.
Love home brew

Cushyno you might be onto something there. I'm a bit lazy with numbers and tend not to measure for OG and FG! I know .. I don't mind how strong or weak it is. So perhaps that's it. I do get complaints about the strength of it, from my wife and her sister whom I quote 'i can't feel my face'.
Love home brew
How strong are you making it?
Paralysis is not an acceptable side effect!

No and No.
If your beer tastes as good as before and is properly carbonated, then it's more likely to be the glass than the beer. Any remains of cleaning agent- especially washing up liquid will destroy the head so rinse the glass thoroughly under the tap. Oh, and stop wearing lipstick!

I wonder if a recent change of dishwasher tablet brand might be the culprit? I'll experiment with the old ones... I can't remember what they were but the box might still be in the recycling.

Reusing a thread about head, so here goes...
I tend to make lightly carbonated ales, but they lack any foamy head to begin with, so not got on to head retention.

Should I consider adjuncts?

I'm in a relatively hard water area & don't use water treatment.

Back