RECIPE ADVICE PLEASE .

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh123

Reaction score
Hi All , I have a few things which are getting to the use by date and wondered if I have enough to make a brew.
1kg light clear dry malt.
1.5 kg dark malt extract liquid
250g Lactose
11g Nottingham yeast
Any suggestions welcome I was thinking maybe a stout ?

What do you want to brew?
If you forget the lactose you have a much bigger range of beers you could brew from dark bitters through porters to stout, even a perhaps dark barley wine.
Tell us what you want, and no doubt a recipe will emerge.

What do you want to brew?
If you forget the lactose you have a much bigger range of beers you could brew from dark bitters through porters to stout, even a perhaps dark barley wine.
Tell us what you want, and no doubt a recipe will emerge.
A stout would be nice

OK.
If you want to brew a stout why not just add the 1.5kg dark DME to a Coopers one can stout kit.
And save the 1 kg DME for something else, it doesn't go off.
Or get hold of a copy of Graham Wheelers 'Brew your Own British Ales', there are a few stout recipes in there which you could adopt or make up the Batemans Salem Porter which includes extra Roast Barley and Challanger and Northdown hops.

OK.
If you want to brew a stout why not just add the 1.5kg dark DME to a Coopers one can stout kit.
And save the 1 kg DME for something else, it doesn't go off.
Or get hold of a copy of Graham Wheelers 'Brew your Own British Ales', there are a few stout recipes in there which you could adopt or make up the Batemans Salem Porter which includes extra Roast Barley and Challanger and Northdown hops.
In backorder since October 2017, aren't there digital copies?

Try your local public library. That's where I found my copy to look through.
Also some online homebrew shops sell kits which have all the ingredients for beers based on Graham Wheelers book, including Worcester Hop Shop. You could review these and make something up for yourself. Approx 1kg Pale malt =750g LME= 650g DME.

Hi,
Found a recipe for a beer (Fursty Ferret) I had and enjoyed a couple of years ago when visiting friends in England, and it calls for orange peel.

How and when would I add the orange peel?

Hi,
Found a recipe for a beer (Fursty Ferret) I had and enjoyed a couple of years ago when visiting friends in England, and it calls for orange peel.

How and when would I add the orange peel?
Not tried adding fruit or peel myself, but have read that it can either be added towards the end of the boil, or four days into the fermentation (presumably steeped in vodka).

Thanks for the quick response.
Both sound good to me. I presume steeping in vodka is not only for steralising, but would also stop any unwanted enzymes?

Thanks for the quick response.
Both sound good to me. I presume steeping in vodka is not only for sterilising, but would also stop any unwanted enzymes?

I would have thought bacteria are the issue with orange peel as the enzymes you need are in the malted grains.
Only time I made a beer with Orange peel was a wheat beer and the peel and some ground coriander were chucked in at the end of the boil.
In beers like a Belgian sort of a wheat beer, you can get nuances that are fruity and spicy, but how much is down to the yeast and how much to the late additions is not clearly obvious.

At this point in time I'm thinking of adding the peel of two oranges to the last 10 minutes of the boil, to make 23L of a Firsty Ferret style beer.

This won't be for a few weeks, so this may change if I can find more information on adding peels etc.

at the top my head....(mind its damaged)
28g peel at the last 5 mins boil..for a 20l batch.
ive tried 4 days near to ferm finish aswell.
the 5 mins was better than before as even in a 10 min boil theres more taste left....'The boil off' diminishes in longer boil schedules.
hope this makes sence.
infact my fursty clone is nearly ready...but I'm changing to tangerine..
Bri

at the top my head....(mind its damaged)
I know the problem :)

What you mention, makes a lot of sense. I have also read of others using tangerine in place of orange.

I will start my brew when I have enough empty bottles, which I'm working diligently at...:lol:

Once you brew is ready and your happy with it, could you post your recipe so I can compare with what I am thinking of doing?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back