Recipe check please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Hopefully I'm getting another brew on this week. First ag for American amber ale..I've done kits previously but that was years ago.
I found a recipe online...BYO magazine I think but I've fettled it to use what I have..especially hops.
23l
31 IBU
OG 1.049 FG 1.007
MJ West Coast
Abv 5.5%
Maris otter 3.9kg
Light crystal 420g
Munich 420g
Sp. B or dk crystal 420g
Choc 53g
Citra 28g @60
Cashmere 28g @10
Azacca 28g hopstand
FIRST HOP ADDITION IS AT 20!!

Last edited:
Hello all! Hopefully I'm getting another brew on this week. First ag for American amber ale..I've done kits previously but that was years ago.
I found a recipe online...BYO magazine I think but I've fettled it to use what I have..especially hops.
23l
31 IBU
OG 1.049 FG 1.007
MJ West Coast
Abv 5.5%
Maris otter 3.9kg
Light crystal 420g
Munich 420g
Sp. B or dk crystal 420g
Choc 53g
Citra 28g @60
Cashmere 28g @10
Azacca 28g hopstand
Clint
I've made AAA 3 or 4 times and the recipes are very close mine is
4000g MO
500g Munich light
500g Munich dark
125g Crystal 45
50g chocolate malt
You can use any combo of US hops at 60,15 and hopstand.
I've used US05 and dry Kveik both worked well.

Hi Clint I would make it more like CC's recipe your seems to have too much Crystal in it the Special B or Dark Crystal it would make it darker than amber I would think plus a more of a old ale sweet taste
I would look at putting the Citra in at a later time and probably use the Cashmere earlier maybe, just my thoughts

I put your recipe into Beersmith, albeit with one of my equipment profiles so it wont be spot on, and I reckon you can lower the Special b to 150g and make up with pale malt. This came out in the middle of the colour range for an amber ale.
One thing that did look wrong are the IBUs. These came out at 68 (with the citra contributing 38 alone). These are based on stock AA values for the hops.

I put your recipe into Beersmith, albeit with one of my equipment profiles so it wont be spot on, and I reckon you can lower the Special b to 150g and make up with pale malt. This came out in the middle of the colour range for an amber ale.
One thing that did look wrong are the IBUs. These came out at 68 (with the citra contributing 38 alone). These are based on stock AA values for the hops.
Thanks...hmm wonder what I done with the IBU calc??

Clint
I put the following hops in
16g Columbus 14.4AA @60 m
15g Simcoe 13.2AA @15 m
20g Chinook for 20 m whirlpool
IBU 49 the style has a maximum of 40.

Apologies! I know where I've gone wrong...I've found my original scribblings for this recipe...
The first addition of citra @13% AAU is at 20 minutes..NOT 60!
I'm getting 36 IBU now ..can calculators vary the result coz I'm sure the Brewerfriend worked in as 36 and Brewfather at 31...anyway at least I now know what's going on! I might just drop it down to around 30 and bung the rest in the hopstand.

Last edited:
Yes they can Clint stick to one is my suggestion then you get to know what the figure mean to you in taste.
Ps do you allow for IBU's in the Hopstand(by that I am are you meaning flameout/whirlpool?)

You will get IBU's from any hopstand between 100c and 80c approx if you use the Brewers Friend calc have a play around with the temp you are adding at and the time you will see what I mean
Ps these whirlpool/hopstand calcs are only a guestimate as there are several methods to calculate it and nobody seems to have got it bang on

Latest posts

Back