Recipe Development

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meanbrews

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers, I've started analyzing winning homebrewing recipes and am sharing the results on youtube. Please have a look and let me know if there's any value in this, what I can improve, what's missing, what isn't needed. thanks!

Mean Brews

This is genuinely constructive: It's a great starting point for a style but exactly the opposite of what I want when I hear recipe development.

The title 'Mean Brews' I'm guessing uses mean as in averaging, which is nice. But. It's kind of what Ray Daniels's book "Designing Great Beers" does. It's a book I hated because kind of like what you're doing it's just taking averages of beer recipe ingredients for the style and then saying that's designing a recipe. You could write an algorithm that does that. How much beer design is in the Ray Daniels book? None. Design is about consideration and intent.

For me I want beer design to be about the thought behind the use of the ingredients, sensory information about what they smell and taste like and how they'll combine to complement each other. If you don't have enough experience of an ingredient to already understand its use and 'mind taste' it as part of what you come up with in the end then everything might as well be box with a number on it and say add 5 percent of the content of box number 382.

I call it the 'Griggle' problem. The recipe for griggle includes pantoo ogato, fneb leaves, lander flakes, brilldid and salt. There you go : lovely griggle!

In the videos there were tiny bits of insight, like how victory malt would add that extra something, but most is almost like instructions in a different language where learning that language means you don't really need the video.

Great that you haven't got an intro longer than 4 or 5 seconds eventually. Youtube isn't TV and it's watched differently and a 30 second fantastically produced intro is just indulgent **** enjoyed only by the maker and is a barrier to actual content. Well you can just skip it? With certain devices that's sometimes not so easy.

So it's really great because the recipe could give you a fantastic beer for the style, but really empty because you could have just gone and bought a recipe kit. It gives lots of info but doesn't teach you anything. Give a man a fish....

Cheers.

Last edited:
I appreciate it, and I truly recognize that its just a starting point. My intent is to get new brewers to brew good beers from the start and maybe i'll hook them for sticking with the hobby. Also for people looking to find out what is missing from their beers when sensory feedback just isn't there. I will say I was one of those, Brew by numbers" types of guys in the beginning. Taking the scientific approach to making beer only gets you SO far. You need the experience of brewing, to know when somethings going wrong and how to fix it, to be able to taste something and know its not quite right and what to do about it. That all comes with time and experience and is vital to making a great product.

In my opinion, a good brewer needs to be equal minded on the numbers, as they are on the attributes that are not quantifiable. It truly is an art and a science.

Latest posts

Back