Recipe for a mild?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have Vienna malt, was considering brewing a mild. Anyone got a good recipe I can go off?

I have challenger and EKG, are these suitable hops?

Yep. Those hops are great. You could go 100% Vienna if it's Crisps. (If it's continental I'd add a bit of caramalt) 2% Chocolate and 2% black malt. Hop to 25 IBUs.

Well: that would make 96% Vienna.

Yep. Those hops are great. You could go 100% Vienna if it's Crisps. (If it's continental I'd add a bit of caramalt) 2% Chocolate and 2% black malt. Hop to 25 IBUs.

Yeah it's crisp. I'm surprised there's no caramel malt in there but I guess the Vienna is providing some of that sweetness?
Can the black malt be subbed for roasted barley? I don't have BM but do have RB.
I have everything else. Was thinking I might cask condition it in a Corny keg

I've got a mild in with Vienna fermenting right now. I used Jamil's Through a Dark Mildly recipe but tweaked it a bit - this is the original

Taste Notes: Jamil's efficiency in the book is giving 3.2% at 23 litres with 17 IBUs for 24g of EKG

Ingredients
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
Volume
3.175 kg​
UK Pale Ale Malt (5.9 EBC)​
Grain​
1​
84.8 %​
2.07 L​
0.227 kg​
US Caramel 60L Malt (118.2 EBC)​
Grain​
2​
6.1 %​
0.15 L​
0.170 kg​
US Caramel 120L Malt (236.4 EBC)​
Grain​
3​
4.5 %​
0.11 L​
0.113 kg​
UK Pale Chocolate Malt (394.0 EBC)​
Grain​
4​
3.0 %​
0.07 L​
0.057 kg​
UK Black Malt (1063.8 EBC)​
Grain​
5​
1.5 %​
0.04 L​
24.1 g​
US Goldings [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
Hop​
6​
15.6 IBUs​
-​
4.6 pkg​
Wyeast 1968-London ESB Ale​
Yeast​
7​
-​
-​
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.1 %
Bitterness: 15.6 IBUs
Est Color: 33.8 EBC

I'm doing an experiment where I'm brewing 23 litres but watering it down to 30 litres at kegging and I've tweaked it to this :

Ingredients
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
Volume
5.000 kg​
Vienna Malt (Crisp) (7.8 EBC)​
Grain​
1​
85.7 %​
3.26 L​
0.259 kg​
Crystal 240 (270EBC/101L) (Keg-That/Crisp) (270.0 EBC)​
Grain​
2​
4.4 %​
0.17 L​
0.257 kg​
Crystal 400 (450EBC/170L) (Keg-That/Crisp) (450.0 EBC)​
Grain​
3​
4.4 %​
0.17 L​
0.100 kg​
Pale Chocolate Malt (Warminster) (600.0 EBC)​
Grain​
4​
1.7 %​
0.07 L​
0.090 kg​
Caramel Amber (BESTMALZ) (70.0 EBC)​
Grain​
5​
1.5 %​
0.06 L​
0.075 kg​
Roasted Barley (Keg-That/Muntons) (1540.0 EBC)​
Grain​
6​
1.3 %​
0.05 L​
0.050 kg​
Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (1050.0 EBC)​
Grain​
7​
0.9 %​
0.03 L​
63.0 g​
East Kent Goldings (EKG) 2018 Pellets [4.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
Hop​
8​
27.7 IBUs​
-​
1.00 Items​
Electricity (Boil)​
Other​
9​
-​
-​
1.0 pkg​
CML BEòIR (Crossmyloof #) [35.49 ml]​
Yeast​
10​
-​
-​
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 27.7 IBUs
Est Color: 59.9 EBC

Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG

Remember the gravity and IBUs are so high because I tweaked it to have what I want at 30 litres. I mashed at 69c to make it have more body, hence the 5kg of Vienna. And I didn't have any lighter crystal so threw in some cara amber with the dark stuff. It's not ready yet but I had a cheeky nip and it tastes like it's going to be bang tidy. Edit : I went for a 3.8% final gravity.

I mashed at 69c to make it have more body.

I was just reading an article by BYO saying to mash high as well.

My general recipe (haven't inputted it just yet) taking a bit of everything above is:

AmtNameType#
3.5 kgCrisp Vienna maltGrain1
0.1 kgUS Caramel 80L MaltGrain2
0.1 kgChocolate MaltGrain4
0.05 kgRoasted barley Grain5
25 gEast Kent Goldings - Boil 60.0 minHop6-
1GervinYeast7--

Maybe this will need a bit of tweaking once I get it into beer Smith but that's the basics. Might add a bit of Challenger in as well and reduce the EKG. Part of me wants to make it hoppier by adding some late addition hops but I'll try to be reserved. I'm aiming for around 4%. Like I said, I'll naturally condition this one in the keg with sugar, a spunding valve and a floating dip tube.

It's making my mouth water!

Can the black malt be subbed for roasted barley? I don't have BM but do have RB.

My recent brew based on Greg Hughes SH Dark ruby mild, I added a few handfulls of roasted Barley as I only had light crystal malt instead of the dark crystal I would normally use. It turned out great, colours about right too which was good as it was just guesswork.

Greg Hughes's book is just 84% mild malt, 14% dark crystal, 3% chocolate malt with 20g of Northdown @60 for 19.7 IBUs, 10g Bramling Cross at fleyymmm ooot. The recipe says it's 3.3% and 21.2 IBUs even though the hops don't add up to that. Yeast London Ale III.

Yeah it's crisp. I'm surprised there's no caramel malt in there but I guess the Vienna is providing some of that sweetness?
I have everything else. Was thinking I might cask condition it in a Corny keg
Roasted barley will do just fine. At that level, it's mainly for colouring, but it will give you a bot of roast. You could always use Carafa Special #3 in the unlikely event you have any knocking around. It's essentially dehusked black malt, but barley will be fine. Put come caramalt in there by all means. I find it covers the luscious flavour of mild malt. You could just mash it a bit higher temperature instead. I'd love to do a mild with Crisp's Munich; now there's a thought.

Roasted barley will do just fine. At that level, it's mainly for colouring, but it will give you a bot of roast. You could always use Carafa Special #3 in the unlikely event you have any knocking around. It's essentially dehusked black malt, but barley will be fine. Put come caramalt in there by all means. I find it covers the luscious flavour of mild malt. You could just mash it a bit higher temperature instead. I'd love to do a mild with Crisp's Munich; now there's a thought.

I have 5kg Munich but I'm keeping it for something else I think, possibly an Oktoberfest

I'm wondering about Vienna malt as depending on the supplier the % usage in a brew changes. On Malt Miller website it says Crisp Vienna "up to 20%" of the grist...others say up to 100%.

I'm wondering about Vienna malt as depending on the supplier the % usage in a brew changes. On Malt Miller website it says Crisp Vienna "up to 20%" of the grist...others say up to 100%.
Believe the others. Vienna can be used as a base malt, I have made my best mild with Vienna.

If you go to their website, Crisps tell us that their Vienna is made from English spring barley kilned slightly higher than their pale ale malt.
Otherwise, we presume, its identical. Vienna, in this case, refers to the colour, but it's effectively mild malt. It's interesting to see that Crisps don't list a mild malt separately.
But I think malt Millers 20% is an error on their part as any Vienna can be used higher than 20%; Vienna lager recipes use at least 50%, often more.

My mild above is at 1.024 and I don't think it's going any lower. When I mashed at 69 I thought I'll leave the induction on 200 watts to keep it warm while I sod off. It got up to 79 over the hour, and that's without any recirculation, so cooking down the bottom.

So around 4% for 23 litres, but I'm kegging 30 litres so 3% kegged. I might well sugar it up a wee bit if it doesn't shift as it should be able to lose a bit of body.

Last edited:
I know it's the experiment but do you have to keg the 30L? You're not far off if you just keg 25 instead?

I know it's the experiment but do you have to keg the 30L? You're not far off if you just keg 25 instead?
Nahh, that would just be brewing. If there's no fannying about and chance of ruining things I'm not on board.

200g of sugar should be enough. I'll invert it first. Might use some of that dark squishy muck for cakes.

Last edited:
Back