Recipe idea needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesteve

Reaction score
Ordered some pilsner lager malt and vienna malt a few weeks ago with the intention of brewing up a saison but think I have missed the boat in terms of getting hot enough weather for the yeast to work. Anyone got any ideas what I could use these malts for instead? The hops I have kicking around are challenger, admiral and goldings. I will get another packet of yeast instead of the saison yeast that I bought. Any ideas much appreciated.

Just make something up? :confused.:

Or just brew the saison at whatever temperature you can as I would think the yeast will ferment at lower temps. That said, I'm not sure it is too cool.

Just make something up? :confused.:

Or just brew the saison at whatever temperature you can as I would think the yeast will ferment at lower temps. That said, I'm not sure it is too cool.

says temp has to be between 25-32 degrees. can't see us having a week where it gets anywhere near 25 degrees in the north of scotland again this year. that ship has definitely sailed.

says temp has to be between 25-32 degrees. can't see us having a week where it gets anywhere near 25 degrees in the north of scotland again this year. that ship has definitely sailed.

For one week only, hey! Could just get an ale yeast for a clean ferment. But I do think a Belgian Blonde would be better - drop a load of candied sugar in there too to get you through the cold Scottish nights.

23L brew Estimated ABV 7.4 bitterness 18 IBU colour 12.9 OG 1.070 expected FG 1.015

Grain Bill

Mash time 1hr at 65°C

Pilsner Malt 6kg
Cara Vienna 250g
Caramunich I malt 250g

Boil

Boil time 1 hr 10mins

Hops

East Kent Golding 5.5% 30g at start
Styrian Golding 5.5% 10g last 10 mins
Styrian Golding 5.5% 20g at turn off

other

Protofloc 15mins
Belgian candi sugar light 300g last 5 mins

Fermentation

22°C, conditioning 6 weeks @ 12°C

Yeast

Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong

23L brew Estimated ABV 7.4 bitterness 18 IBU colour 12.9 OG 1.070 expected FG 1.015

Grain Bill

Mash time 1hr at 65°C

Pilsner Malt 6kg
Cara Vienna 250g
Caramunich I malt 250g

Boil

Boil time 1 hr 10mins

Hops

East Kent Golding 5.5% 30g at start
Styrian Golding 5.5% 10g last 10 mins
Styrian Golding 5.5% 20g at turn off

other