Recipe Rescue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centiweasel

Reaction score
Hey all, can anyone help me make something of this?
i recently made an order form get er brewed, I was meant to get the ingredients for a wheat beer:
2.5kg pilsner malt
2.5kg wheat
hallertau tradition hops
munich classic yeast

like a numpty iv accidentally ordered Vienna malt instead of the wheat malt.
so iv got 50% Pilsner 50% vienna pre milled in a bag.
I was thinking of trying out one of the kveik yeasts and calling it a pseudo Vienna lager, but ideally I would like to make something a bit like a Leffe out of it, don't know if that is possible because I haven't seen any Leffe clone recipes with vienna in them.

Cheers everyone

If it was me, I'd brew the mistake and see what comes out the other end. It won't be bad I bet.

You could always put a 2nd order in for the rest of the ingredients for a Vienna lager and add your wheat into that order. That way you have another beer lined up for next time! Win win!

I've found renewed love for Vienna malts lately. A 50/50 pilsner and vienna will give you a great beer. I think the recipe works as is and since you already have all the ingredients I would just brew it.

When compared to Vienna malt: Wheat is lighter in colour, tends to add a bit of a fresh and sweeter note, will add more haze. Vienna will add more of a breadcrust note and will turn out a bit darker in colour.

If you want to create a Leffe clone I think the choice of yeast will have a bigger impact on the final flavour than the malt bill. You now have selected Munich Classic, a yeast for a German wheat beer. I would stick to something Belgian like Lallemand Abbey for your next recipe. Increasing the fermenting temperature and adding simple sugars should also help you get closer to a Leffe profile (you are looking for a yeast forward beer). Most classic Belgian beers are mostly pilsner malt (80 percent or more) with only minor other malt additions.

If I would take a stab at generic Belgian blonde it would look something like this:

Malts (4.6 kg)
4 kg (80%) — Weyermann Pilsner — Grain — 3.5 EBC
500 g (10%) — Weyermann Munich I — Grain — 15 EBC
100 g (2%) — Weyermann Caramunich II — Grain — 124 EBC

Other (400 g)
400 g (8%) — Table Sugar, Clear — Sugar — 2 EBC

Hops (50 g)
20 g (17 IBU) — Hallertau Tradition 7% — Boil — 60 min
30 g
(9 IBU) — Hallertau Tradition 7% — Boil — 10 min

Yeast
1 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) Abbaye Belgian 83%

With my efficiencies this would get me close to a Leffe blond in terms of ABV, colour, bitterness etc. (21 liters)

I'd brew it!
I have a Vienna lager on my list...its roughly equal amounts of maris otter,Munich and Vienna malts with Hallertau and saaz. I'll use MJ Cali lager yeast.

Alright guys, so it looks like three votes for brew it to it,
I will get on with it this Saturday so I should be able to update in a couple of weeks.
I'll just call it a wheat-less-wheat beer

Dorst, thanks for the Belgian blond recipe suggestion I will give that a go next time I make an order.

Back