Recipe Wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFran

Reaction score
Hi

I have only been brewing SMASH recipes up to now.
I have some Target, Northern Brewer, Fuggles, Chinnok, Styrian Wolf & East Kent Goldings. Can someone recommend a recipe using a combination of these please?

Thanks

Hi!
I brewed a very nice California Common using Target for bittering and Northern Brewer added as a hop tea after fermentation was complete. I used Crossmyloof Cali Common yeast; the recipe was based on the one in Greg Hughes' book.

Rather than give you a recipe, I'll give you some info about the hops so that you can decide for yourself what you want to brew with them:

Target - an intense bitterness, use for bittering only, mostly used in English ales.
Northern brewer - a dual purpose hop with a subtle woody bitterness, best used in a Cali common or dark Belgian ale.
Fuggles - earthy and woody dual purpose hop, works well in darker English beers.
Chinook - dual purpose with big flavours of grapefruit and pine, typically used in IPAs and APAs.
Styrian wolf - fruity, floral and slightly spicy dual purpose, perfect for IPA and APA.
EKG - the quintessential English aroma hop, spicy and grassy, works in all types of English ales, great in stronger beers like barley wine.

Above info from Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher.

Hi!
I brewed a very nice California Common using Target for bittering and Northern Brewer added as a hop tea after fermentation was complete. I used Crossmyloof Cali Common yeast; the recipe was based on the one in Greg Hughes' book.
Hi Bigcol49

Is the CML yeast any good as I have seen it for sale on ebay for a reasonable price?

Fran

Is the CML yeast any good as I have seen it for sale on ebay for a reasonable price?
Hi!
It's a very good yeast. The California Common was the best beer that I've made to date.
I fermented at the upper end of its range, 20°C and I didn't lager it; straight into the keg following the cold crash, force carbed by "set and forget".
I was so pleased with the results that I ordered some Kolsch yeast from the same people - I used it in the brew that's fermenting at this moment.

Well, as strange-steve suggests, you've got some perfect hops there for a quintessential English-style bitter. Target - good bittering hop, boil for 60mins
Northern Brewer - I might not use this, but you could as a late-addition hop
Fuggle/Goldings great for flame-out/whirlpool/steeping (whatever you want to call it) but more importantly as a dry hop.
Anyway, if you want a recipe, then I'd suggest this (note that the initial volume in the 1st FV is 28l and scale accordingly). It's heavily based on one of my own favourite brews:
Malt/Mash: 4100g Crisp Clear Choice; 400g Crisp Caragold; 100g Weyermann Carared (all mashed together at 65C for 60min)
Boil: 60 mins
Hops: Boil: Target, 30g, boil 60 mins (less if you don't like a lot of hop bitterness)
Flameout: 15g Northern Brewer, 20g Fuggle
Dry hop: Well, this one's up to you!! Personally, 50g Fuggle plus 50g EKG would suit me nicely, added after fermentation had pretty well died down & left for maybe 5 days. Less, if you don't want so much hop in your face/nose.
With this much hops, I'd go for a more neutral British yeast (perhaps WLP 0028 Edinburgh - which seems to be a genuine top-fermenter, and lets the other ingredients pull their weight). Otherwise back off on the dry hops & try a more fruity/estery yeast.
My system has a pretty high overall efficiency (typically 85%), so this recipe gives me an OG of about 1.041 and final beer with ABV about 4.1%, so you might need to increase that base malt to suit yours.
Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back