Recipes that Disappoint.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Inspired by The Baron's hops that disappoint thread, I thought I'd like to name and shame recipes that have disappointed. This is a bit more contentious as whoever provided the recipe can always say "you didn't do it right" or "call yourself a brewer?"
My recent disappointment is with Morton's Totally Tropical Pale, which, considering the hype he gives it, has turned out to be nothing special at all. On the other hand, I was inspired to try this one by some of the comments on this forum. What are your thoughts?
I should add that when I follow a recipe for the first time, whether it be for beer or food, I always follow it to the letter the (unless there a glaring errors) to see what the author had in mind.

I’d like to shame the beers I made at the start of my extract phase.

I’d previously made a few kits and failed to realise the extract in the kit was already hopped so I made a couple of beers where the only bittering and flavour came from dry hopping. They were drinkable but there was clearly something not right. Lesson quickly learned!

I still have a few bottles in the garage I should really throw away. Maybe I’ll enter one in a competition and test the judges’ diplomacy! sick...:laugh8:

I’d like to shame the beers I made at the start of my extract phase.

I’d previously made a few kits and failed to realise the extract in the kit was already hopped so I made a couple of beers where the only bittering and flavour came from dry hopping. They were drinkable but there was clearly something not right. Lesson quickly learned!

I still have a few bottles in the garage I should really throw away. Maybe I’ll enter one in a competition and test the judges’ diplomacy! sick...:laugh8:
You can get isomerised hop extractt from one of the homebrew suppliers. It's very strong so you'd need to dilute a drop in some beer before adding some drops of that the beer you want to try. Never tried it though, just an idea.

You can get isomerised hop extractt from one of the homebrew suppliers. It's very strong so you'd need to dilute a drop in some beer before adding some drops of that the beer you want to try. Never tried it though, just an idea.

I’ve been all grain brewing for a while now so those early lessons are behind me. Lots more lessons ahead I’m sure so I may be back to this thread sometime. ;)

One of my local Homebrew shops make their own AG kits which I have done a few but with one it was a American Golden Ale. Nothing such like and as they do not put the hops used in the kit you are brewing a little blind, when asked what hops are in they will not divulge as the recipe is "secret". I never bought another kit from that supplier

Did the exmoor gold from BYOBRA having heard it name checked a few times. V disappointing- the beer tastes as bland as the simple malt bill and hop schedule.

Did the exmoor gold from BYOBRA having heard it name checked a few times. V disappointing- the beer tastes as bland as the simple malt bill and hop schedule.
Not a great fan of Wheeler, to be frank. But to be fair it's a while since I had a pint of Exmoor Gold, but I don't recall it setting the world on fire by any means. Give me a Summer Lightning any day.

Some of the recipes in BYOBRA are so very close to each other I have wondered how they make such different beers although I have to say I have just done a Yorkshire Bitter from the BIBLE and changed the main hops for First Gold and that has turned out just to my taste

These are worth watching. Basically they're saying if you're doing a clone recipe and it doesn't tastes right it could just be the different brand of malt used.

Some of the recipes in BYOBRA are so very close to each other I have wondered how they make such different beers although I have to say I have just done a Yorkshire Bitter from the BIBLE and changed the main hops for First Gold and that has turned out just to my taste
The difference between most of these recipes is the yeast that is used, which is arguably the main difference between most (not all) bitters. Of course grain bill will make a difference as will water, hops but yeast has a huge impact. Unfortunately the book doesn't go into which yeast to use (reasons for this I believe that at the time of publication, the variety of yeast was more limited for the homebrewer). If you do research the yeast used the book is a useful starting point I find.

On another forum Graham Wheeler said a few times he left out recommending yeast because unless you can get the yeast from the brewery you will never get an exact clone. The idea of the books was always to create a beer in the "style of". Some liquid strains will get you close i.e. WLP002 or 1968 both reputed from Fullers and would get you close to their recipes. A better bet is to speak to Alison at Brewlabs.

Ben is correct the choice of yeast is most important ingredient when it comes to the finished taste of your beer.

Don't blame the recipe if you make a bland beer, blame the choice of yeast.

Last edited:
This is why I've not got round to brewing the few that catch my eye yet, they all just look so similar and often tiny amounts of hops, even for me.

GH's Yorkshire Bitter has become my go-to bitter recipe, I use flaked barley instead of wheat and I've tried subbing in some munich which was good too.

I didn't do it exact and subbed out the main hop for First Gold which is my new favourite hop. I like EKG but used Fuggles in a dry hop once and did not like that so no longer use Fuggles and First gold is a excellent replacement. It too is going to become my house bitter although I may tweak it over time

One of my Christmas brews last year was a Tribute clone. It's turned out a very drinkable beer but definitely not Tribute. It's just lacking that something and the more I drink of it the more I'm thinking it's the late hop addition of Willamette...I either need more or to dry hop as that's the flavour I associate with Tribute.

I was very disappointed with the son of punkie IPA kit from the malt miller , it's a punk IPA clone but it was very 'homebrewey' tasting.

Likely my fermentation errors!

I tweaked the Exmoore Gold, used Williamette for the two final additions also lifted the IBU and dry hopped with Hallertau Mytlethore hops. Came out very nice and refreshing.
Also I would never mash a mild at 63 C which Graham wheeler recommends, would thin it out no end.

I was very disappointed with the son of punkie IPA kit from the malt miller , it's a punk IPA clone but it was very 'homebrewey' tasting.

Likely my fermentation errors!
Hope its not homebrewy as I am doing a very similar recipe to son of punkie next

I suppose the issue here is that there is an awful lot more to brewing a great beer than just the recipe. Two brewers could make the exact same recipe with very different results. I've brewed a few recipes from Brewing Classic Styles which didnt turn out too well and I have no doubt that's my fault and not the recipe.

I think it was Northern Brewer, or one of the large American homebrew companies, offer PDF downloads of their recipe kits. I've done a couple in the past and whilst they come out fine and drinkable, they are quite bland and uninteresting.

Back