Recommend a brew bucket!

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Llamaman, Aug 13, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Aug 15, 2018 #41

Llamaman

Llamaman

Llamaman

Regular.

I’ve seen that on an Aussie homebrew board. I think it’s the old version of the Coopers FV, before they changed to a bucket with krausen collar.

2. Aug 15, 2018 #42

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Landlord.

That would make sense as it came out of a starter kit from around 2010. It's the only one that fits in my ludicrously small brew fridge - the way that the handles are recessed rather than sticking out means I can close the door. But it adds rigidity too.

Sounds like I need to make sure I don't break it!!

Dutto likes this.
  3. Aug 15, 2018 #43

Llamaman

Llamaman

Llamaman

Regular.

The Brupaks 30L is a similar design (dumpy with recessed handles) - you might be able to fit that in your fridge if the Coopers goes kaput.

-Bezza- likes this.
  4. Aug 15, 2018 #44

joel

joel

joel

I can confirm that's an old Coopers FV, I had an identical one, FWIW it was great but you can't get the exact ones now. They are less wide and a bit taller than the equivalent size brupacks ones I think but very similar design.

5. Aug 16, 2018 #45

Henders

Henders

Henders

I wish I could 3D print a better FV! Does anybody fancy a tiny bronze FV that leaks every 0.05mm? :D

6. Aug 16, 2018 #46

Robsparky99

Robsparky99

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer

https://us.diybeer.com/coopers-diy-beer-fermenting-vessel - gives you some info. Keep forgetting to measure the whole thing, will try to remember tonight. I've only got the wilko bottling wand which doesn't fit. It isn't a major problem as I still use the tube (without tip) and the tap to regulate the flow of beer. If I'm putting the brew into a secondary vessel, then I'll use the Youngs 25Ltr bucket and the wilko wand.

I was lucky and got two cheap Coopers complete brewing kits off ebay, otherwise they are very expensive for something you can get for around a tenner.

7. Aug 16, 2018 #47

Llamaman

Llamaman

Llamaman

Regular.

Thanks. I found a review on Amazon.com that gave height as 22" with the collar and 19.5" without (55.9cm / 49.5cm). I assume the height on the Cooper's site of 44cm is without collar, although how they have a 5-6cm (i.e. 2" difference) is beyond me!
    I agree it's a bit pricey though. Even when you factor in the price of a kit and the bottles you're paying quite a bit for the bucket as I already have hydrometers and a spoon.

8. Aug 17, 2018 #48

Robsparky99

Robsparky99

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer

53cm with collar

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Llamaman likes this.
  9. Aug 17, 2018 #49

divrack

divrack

divrack

Regular.

second hand corny kegs for under 40 quid a pop. spund valve. unoxidized beer on tap.
    you'll thank yourself one day.
    those buckets suck. literally

10. Aug 17, 2018 #50

Hoppyland

Hoppyland

Hoppyland

This depends upon your bucket. The ones I use have deep snap-on lids which are definitely airtight, so you'd absolutely need either an airlock or a blow-off tube to avoid destructive pressure build-up

Llamaman likes this.
  11. Aug 18, 2018 #51

James

James

James

I can recommend the Brupacks 30lt. I have a couple. My regime was to ferment on a counter top in the utility room and the low, wide shape is great.
    Very solidly made, massive airlock and a blinking plug too. Super easy to clean because the whole top comes off and the threads are isolated from the brew space.
    Tap is far too high but I never use it anyway - came with a blanking plug but a little nook for stuff to hide.
    Nice and solid to move even when full - I used to move it outside for final clarification with a cap on.
    Having said all that I now have a very nice SS brewbucket and a brew fridge.....

12. Sep 2, 2018 #52

tobyjrn6

tobyjrn6

tobyjrn6

I've been looking at grabbing one of these, is it totally air tight? (looks like it judging by your setup but can never be sure haha)

13. Sep 2, 2018 #53

SkyBlue

SkyBlue

SkyBlue

I’ve just bought the SS Brewtech Brewbucket from Brew UK. At £185 you could say it’s a bit pricey but it seems a quality bit of kit that should last forever. First brew went into it on Friday. It was easy to clean and assemble and seems really well built. The tap at the bottom will make taking samples and racking a doddle.

14. Sep 2, 2018 #54

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

I've one that's about three years old and if I remember to put a smear of Vaseline around the rim when I button it up for the two weeks fermentation, it still seals perfectly.

If they don't seal 100%, then I can still see the layer of krausen on the top and/or the build up of trub in the bottom that tells me everything is progressing normally.

I always clean them after use with the "yellow" side of a kitchen sponge to minimise the scratches that are difficult to sanitise and so far I have been lucky enough to not have an infection.athumb..

15. Oct 2, 2018 #55

Demonbarb

Demonbarb

Demonbarb

Dutto likes this.
  16. Oct 2, 2018 #56

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

17. Oct 2, 2018 #57

BarnBrian

BarnBrian

BarnBrian

Junior Member Supporting Member

I would suggest getting some spare "O" rings for the tap, I find the ones that seal the tap onto the side of the bucket don't tend to last too long.
    I've also got a 14 gallon SS Chronical which is great for dumping trub and harvesting yeast.
    Brian

18. Oct 2, 2018 #58

Demonbarb

Demonbarb

Demonbarb

I don't use a brewfridge yet although I'm picking an old fridge up tomorrow to convert to one so i May not use mine again :-)