Recommend a reliable yeast please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used most of the yeasts mentioned in the posts and can’t say that I’ve brewed a bad beer with any of them (although I didn’t like US04 but that could have been the recipe).

Right now I’m really enjoying Lallemand’s Verdant IPA yeast in my pale ales but it leaves a fruity taste which might not be your bag.

I’m about to experiment using ringwood yeast in my next pale ale because I love what it does in an ESB…but equally it could be a disaster!

As a side note, I'm looking for a 'summer' yeast to use during the hotter months, for pales / IPA / APA.

I've not got a beer fridge, so have to ferment in the coolest part of the house, & aside from a (small) water bath at the mercy of the weather.

I used US-05 last year, which was OK, but I don't think handled the heat as well.

I guess my options are Kveik or a Belgian yeast - preferably something that won't impart its flavour too much & keep the malt/hops fairly true.

Does anyone have a preference between these 2 for this scenario, or perhaps recommend another I've overlooked? 🤔

If you can get your temperature above 30C (perhaps with a heat belt and jacket) then something like Voss Kveik would be my choice.

Also, some people ferment under pressure (in a Keg King or Kegland PET fermenter) where they say that higher temps for something like US-05 is less of an issue but I've never tried it. And then there's the cost of all the kit to think about....

As a side note, I'm looking for a 'summer' yeast to use during the hotter months, for pales / IPA / APA.

I've not got a beer fridge, so have to ferment in the coolest part of the house, & aside from a (small) water bath at the mercy of the weather.

I used US-05 last year, which was OK, but I don't think handled the heat as well.

I guess my options are Kveik or a Belgian yeast - preferably something that won't impart its flavour too much & keep the malt/hops fairly true.

Does anyone have a preference between these 2 for this scenario, or perhaps recommend another I've overlooked? 🤔
The nice thing about Voss these days is it’s available dry and fairly cheaply I mostly buy it from CML. I would say that if you get into the high thirties you can get some orange flavour it’s not unpleasent but something to be aware of. Overall though in the summer months I find Voss is pretty much add and forget I typically pitch at about 40°C and leave it to it (it will tear through most sugars, and I typically hit my final gravity in 36-48 hours or so, sometimes less, and you can more or less drink straight out of the fermentor though I do find a week of conditioning doesn’t do any harm. It’s not perfect but no yeast is but for quick simple summer drinking it’s a great yeast.

I would agree, Voss is a great choice. I bought the dry Lallemand version and collected the trub from my first brew which I put into 20 50ml plastic test tubes from Aliexpress. Each previous brew was great and hence fantastic value.

Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 09.00.48.png
I recently bought some Omega Lutra dry yeast which I've heard is very clean and can be used for lagers at 20-22C and IPA's in the 30C's. We'll see!

If you want a cleaner kveik then Omega's Lutra seems to be one of the better ones and is now available in dry form from the likes of Malt Miller, albeit at a "liquid" price.

Kveik do seem to be rather Marmite-y, having fans and naysayers in equal measure. You do need to look after them, and they definitely benefit from extra nutrients in brews below 1.060.

If you want a cleaner kveik then Omega's Lutra seems to be one of the better ones and is now available in dry form from the likes of Malt Miller, albeit at a "liquid" price.

Kveik do seem to be rather Marmite-y, having fans and naysayers in equal measure. You do need to look after them, and they definitely benefit from extra nutrients in brews below 1.060.

Sounds like Lutra is definitely worth a try, NB 😉

Especially if it keeps the malt/hops flavours intact. Can i ask if theres any particular brand of nutrients you'd recommend for it please?

The nice thing about Voss these days is it’s available dry and fairly cheaply I mostly buy it from CML. I would say that if you get into the high thirties you can get some orange flavour it’s not unpleasent but something to be aware of. Overall though in the summer months I find Voss is pretty much add and forget I typically pitch at about 40°C and leave it to it (it will tear through most sugars, and I typically hit my final gravity in 36-48 hours or so, sometimes less, and you can more or less drink straight out of the fermentor though I do find a week of conditioning doesn’t do any harm. It’s not perfect but no yeast is but for quick simple summer drinking it’s a great yeast.

Thanks for the detailed reply 😁

I'd probably still leave it in the FV for usual length to ensure enough settlement & allow the dry hopping to work.

But definitely worth a look 😉

Can i ask if theres any particular brand of nutrients you'd recommend for it please?

It's not particularly critical, as long as they're getting 180+ ppm of free amino nitrogen (FAN), along with vitamins. They also like generous amounts of oxygen to support their high metabolism, I assume dry Lutra and Voss have an advantage in that respect as dry yeast are generally grown in a way that they need less oxygen during fermentation as they have extensive reserves of sterols (which is what yeast need oxygen to make).

Escarpment Labs have led the way on kveik science, have a look at the likes of this :
https://escarpmentlabs.com/blogs/resources/the-impact-of-pitch-rate-on-kveik-ferments

Latest posts

Back