Recommend a reliable yeast please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondi11

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone recommend a good reliable yeast and quantity needed for 23ltr pale ales please?

What kind of pale ale? American? British? Belgian? Do you like your pale ales fruity, or do you want a neutral yeast? Do you like it dry or with some residual sweetness? Do you want a liquid or a dried yeast?

Last edited:
What kind of pale ale? American? British? Belgian? Do you like your pale ales fruity, or do you want a neutral yeast? Do you like it dry or with some residual sweetness? Do you want a liquid or a dried yeast?
American

BRY-97 is my go to, I’m a fan of US-05 and M44 as well.
They are all the chico strain, as is WLP001, Imperial Flagship and so the list goes on.
I usually have some Bry-97 on hand in case a live yeast starter doesn’t work out time wise or I end up doing an impromptu brew.

Definite variation in them for me. I like both a lot, and they are very similar, but have found M44 to be very slow off the mark.
Thats a complaint many people level at Bry-97. And M44 is repackaged and possibly less vital as a result. Both companies recommend pitching more than usual, I think.

us05 or similar if it’s west coast, verdant if it’s hazy and fruity. if it’s malt forward you may wish to use another English yeast. Many recipes suggest this.

If you just want to use one, The US05 or equivalent is your safest bet I’d say.

Last edited:
US-05 is a good yeast, but is slow to srart. My most reliable yeast is Lallamand (or Danstar) Nottingham. I use 13g for a 24 litre batch. I always used to re-hydrate it as per instructions, but I have found that a better way is to sprinkle it on the wort and leave for 15 minutes. I then give the wort a really good aeration with a stainless steel paint mixer in the electric drill. Within 12 hours the fermentation is going very strongly. There are similar (identical?) yeasts to Nottingham - as has been mentioned Wilco's Gervin is similar as is CML's Midland.

Back