Recommend a Stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlDaviz

Regular.
Reaction score
All, I’m thinking of brewing a stout next week or so can anyone recommend a stout recipe ??

Is there a stout you like already? How about cloning that as a starting point?

I’ve my first stout conditioning so don’t want to recommend that yet as I can’t say how it tastes!

Hi, I was looking at the brewdog recipes there’s an imperial stout but the grain bill is near 8kg, sure this far too much for grainfather. I was thinking of scaling down to 6kg and making a 15L batch instead of the 20L
Mainly because I find there normal stout slightly lacking

I think the most I've been able to fit into my grainfather is 9kg and it was very close. 8kgs should be fine.

Edit: That was for a 25L batch.

The HBC do an all-grain stout kit called 'The Madness's velvet stout. I brewed one last September and it was a decent kit with liquorice and coffee flavours. If you don't fancy buying a kit check out the ingredients online, it may give you some ideas (though not exact quantities).

I’ve all the ingredient for a Pilsner for tomorrow’s brew day athumb..
So I’ll trawl the web sites for recipes, but there’s a couple of brewdogs I fancy now that 8kg should fit

33FB4578-7D74-456B-A9B9-78A07776ADC3.png
2DFDD138-33C6-4A64-99F8-55B555AE0F81.png

Haven't looked at the Brewdog recipes, instead went straight to Andy Hamilton "The Perfect Pint" and found this. https://www.magicrockbrewing.com/beer/bearded-lady/?age-verified=46d903ba54
It looks so good, I'm going to knock some up myself.
If you can't find a stout recipe, look for a stout woman is the wisdom of the day!
It shouldn't be beyond the skills of the brewers on this forum to formulate a recipe from the given data. How about it? A challenge. One clue is that it's brown. Oak chips in the conditioning tun, perhaps, as some of us don't have many free bourbon barrels?

It shouldn't be beyond the skills of the brewers on this forum to formulate a recipe from the given data. How about it? A challenge. One clue is that it's brown. Oak chips in the conditioning tun, perhaps, as some of us don't have many free bourbon barrels?
Yeah it might be fun to take a set of ingredients, a target style, abv, ibu and for several members to brew their take on it and then do a bottle swap.*

*not that I'm brewing a RIS anytime soon

This is the grain bill for my RIS that I've made a few times now. I don't (for reasons unknown) have a note of the hops or mash temperature. The malt extract is to account for reaching critical mass in the mash tun.

For 18l , OG 1.105, FG 1.022. US 05.
Age on 2 vanilla pods.

5 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 62.9%
0.25 kg United Kingdom - Crystal 45L 34 45 3.1%
0.2 kg Flaked Barley 32 2.2 2.5%
0.2 kg United Kingdom - Roasted Barley 29 550 2.5%
0.2 kg United Kingdom - Chocolate 34 425 2.5%
0.1 kg United Kingdom - Black Patent 27 525 1.3%
0.2 kg Flaked Rye 36 2.8 2.5%
1 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light 42 4 12.6%
0.8 kg Brown Sugar 45 15 10.1%

@AlDaviz I had a can of the BrewDog Old World RIS a couple of weeks ago - very kindly gifted to me by a friend - and it was absolutely delicious. Probably one of the nicest IMP stouts I've had in ages. Refreshing difference too as it its OTT with America hops etc.

If you give this recipe a go do report back with your results!

Liking the look of that BrewDog RIS, might have to give that one a go myself - although I seem to be adding to the brew-list quicker than I can make it at the mo!

In the sticky at the top of this section 50 American clone recipes, there is a recipe for demon star imperial stout. I scaled it back to 6kg and got an amazing 6% stout. One of the best beers I have made.

I used some bourbon chunks !! There now in a container soaking with sherry, been there foe 6 months waiting to be used

@AlDaviz I had a can of the BrewDog Old World RIS a couple of weeks ago - very kindly gifted to me by a friend - and it was absolutely delicious. Probably one of the nicest IMP stouts I've had in ages. Refreshing difference too as it its OTT with America hops etc.

If you give this recipe a go do report back with your results!
Sort of thing I’m thinking about athumb..

Latest posts

Back