Recommend a Stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I was looking at the brewdog recipes there’s an imperial stout but the grain bill is near 8kg, sure this far too much for grainfather. I was thinking of scaling down to 6kg and making a 15L batch instead of the 20L
Mainly because I find there normal stout slightly lacking

Should do it, but if you have your doubts instead of scaling go for a reiterated mash.

Should do it, but if you have your doubts instead of scaling go for a reiterated mash.
I’m not looking for strong abv just something full bodied and flavourful, not enough time to brew everything I want too :laugh8:

Oh fair enough. I was going to suggest a Mikkellers Black hole clone but seeing as you told me this, I won't......:p

I’m not looking for strong abv just something full bodied and flavourful, not enough time to brew everything I want too :laugh8:
Something along these lines, then:
Gorlovka-from-Acorn-Brewery-labels.jpg

byo.com were sending out free stout recipe guides if you signed up for the mailing list last week. Not sure if that’s still on.

15 recipes, all with AG and partial mash methods

Looking through old threads came back across this !
Ive now made a similar clone to Brewdogs Islay recipe a couple of times, adding whisky soaked chunks to a secondary for a couple of weeks before bottling. I also added 0.5kg of Belgian candi sugar which bumped up the abv to around 11% for my latest, should be ready to taste in a week or so

it was worth it for

"Session stout or death stout?"

I'm definitely stealing that! :D

Out of interest what ratio of wood chips to beer volume did you use? thinking of making a Lost Dog clone this weekend.

Out of interest what ratio of wood chips to beer volume did you use? thinking of making a Lost Dog clone this weekend.
Hi
I’m using barrel/cask chunks that I bought from malt Miller a few years ago. Think they were 500g, Once used I dry them in the oven. I then place them in a Tupperware tub in my fridge with 500ml of whisky for the stout. Tend to be in whisky for 6 months but the oaky taste is still coming out. Ive used them 3 times.
I also have some soaking in Sherry for a red ale I make.

There’s normally around 20L in secondary, and 7 days gives a really oaky taste. Last brew was 14x days due to my shift patterns, will be ok to taste in a week or so

great, thanks. Will get the chips into some rum tonight then.
I’ve never used the wood chips !
The chunks are around 1” square
So I’m not sure about how many of the chips you would need to use, it’s trial and see :confused.:

Last edited:
Back