Recommend books for all grain brewing.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Jon1961

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Just did a google search on it and there a mass books out there. So I thought I’ll ask about and see if any one has any recommendations and any must have on your book shelf.

cheers
(writen with a brewdog parama violet in hand :beer1:)
what was the Brewdog Parma Violet like? My well-meaning kids bought me a can for my birthday (along with some rather more tasty sounding beers!)

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
My vote is Greg Hughes
I started my AG journey with GH. Basics all covered, mostly good recipes, but I find it bizarre that he barely gives BIAB a mention. A book for beginners that ignores the cheapest way to get into AG...

Wobbly13

Reaction score
I started my AG journey with GH. Basics all covered, mostly good recipes, but I find it bizarre that he barely gives BIAB a mention. A book for beginners that ignores the cheapest way to get into AG...
Agreed, don’t seem to be many books covering BIAB that I have found, though Simple Homebrewing by Denny Conn and DrewBeecham covers it and a whole lot more. It sits out the wheat from the chaff regards what odd important and what isn’t.

Sadfield

Landlord.
Reaction score
It is a bit odd.

Also, I always get the impression from reading its 'bible' reputation, that this book is a bit of a crutch for many, and doesn't really encourage development, learning what ingredients actually add to a beer, or formulating own recipes, etc.

JoeisBatman

Reaction score
I've recently bought Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer - it's good because it runs through a load of beer styles, recommendations for the style, tips on making your own recipe along with a recommended recipe. Interesting to have on hand for putting recipes together!

I've also got IPA by Mitch Steele and The New IPA by Scott Janish - both interesting books. I'd recommend IPA by Mitch Steele as it goes in-depth on history and has a lot of old and modern IPA recipes in it! The New IPA is very science-y, but has a lot of interesting info in it!