Recommend me a lager kit and hops to add

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milesey

Reaction score
I don't brew lager , tried in the past but just a kit and added just LME nothing else with poor bland results

I've a spare fv so thought I'll try again with some recommendations

Oh and a decent yeast for lager recommendation

Don't do cold crashing , just want to make a batch and hope for the best

Want a 5%=/5.5% result , with a German pilsner taste

Thanks everyone

Hi milesey, i recently did a mangrove jacks czech pilsner which turned out very nice and around 6.4%.

Hi I don't do kits anymore but if you search the forum for kit reviews I am sure you will find a good one to try.
I would do a premium Lager kit which will have more too it. The hops used in pilsner types are Saaz and Hallertau which you could use as additions in a cheaper kit but as general the premium 2 can kits are reasonably good from what I have seen on this forum

Have you got temp control...like, brewfridge?
If not you're into pseudo lager territory..but then you'll still need to get your wort to ale temps.
Kit or what?

Have you got temp control...like, brewfridge?
If not you're into pseudo lager territory..but then you'll still need to get your wort to ale temps.
Kit or what?

Basic pal , I know lagers a tough call but just want tae give it ma best shot

I've not done an MJ lager but their kits are really good. Their lagers use the M54 yeast which is a lager yeast that is fermented at room temperature. And their kits include dry hops.

Basic as in kits or all grain?
Years ago I did a Wilko cerveza,1.5kg of dry malt extract,kit yeast and dry hop with 50g saaz...dead easy,very nice!
My next ag brew will probably be a pilsner...5kg pilsner malt with either saaz or tettnang and MJ Cali lager yeast at 20c..easy!

Without dry hopping pal ?
Hi milesey, the kit came with hops for dry hopping, i added the hops on day 12 when gravity was around 1008 and left for a further 4 days then cold crashed it at around 4° for 3 days then bottled it conditioned for 2 weeks in bottles at around 18-20° then put them back in the fridge for a few weeks. it finished off at 1004 it took around 3 weeks from pitching yeast to cold crashing then another 3 weeks to cold crash and condition. I added 1kg of brewing sugar and 500g of spray malt on brew day and it came out at 6.4%.

@Milesey, would strongly recommend Festival New Zealand Pilsner (5% ABV) which worked really well for me. Believe this kit uses MJ's warmer fermenting 'lager' yeast.

So, for a lager brew, it's an uncharacteristically clean brew and relatively quick, with no need for usual 'cool temp' fermentation, nor prolonged 'lagering' conditioning.

It's a 3kg extract pouch kit supplied with 350g of additional dextrose for brew (further 110g of same for bottling) and 100g pack of hop pellets (Pacific Jade & Pacific Gem) for dry-hopping.

Think yeast supplied is Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Yeast - Californian Lager M54.

https://mangrovejacks.com/products/californian-lager-m54-yeast-10g

Last edited:
Try either the Mangrove Jack Craft Series Helles Lager or Pilsner I've done both recently and they're really good. Currently supping a pilsner as I write this and it's really crisp, well carbonated and tastes as good as any pilsner I've had, mine ended up at 4.6% and I can highly recommend it to you. Cheers 🍻

Try either the Mangrove Jack Craft Series Helles Lager or Pilsner I've done both recently and they're really good. Currently supping a pilsner as I write this and it's really crisp, well carbonated and tastes as good as any pilsner I've had, mine ended up at 4.6% and I can highly recommend it to you. Cheers 🍻
Apologies for late query but I am thinking of doing the MJ Pilsner and wonder what you added to it? I would have assumed 1kg of BKE?

Latest posts

Back