Recommend me a low alcohol (1% or less) commercial brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfajerry

Reaction score
Does any brewery yet produce a beer under 1% which you are happy to drink?

Jerry

Great question, and I'm looking forward to what suggestions people have.
I've been trying a few different ones and so far this is my preferred one: 0.4%, and you can get in Waitrose (doubtless other places too).

I can put up with this stuff but it's really quite still quite a long way off being right. The problem with all the low alcohol beers is that they seem massively over-carbonated and they all taste vaguely of cleaning products...
I am absolutely certain that it is not within the wit of humankind to produce a decent-tasting low alcohol beer, but we aren't there yet.

IMG_5890.JPG
IMG_5891.JPG

My better half likes this
B6A5B6DD-C336-4CC6-B9BA-F6B21DDCDF82.jpeg
0% Lager. It’s about £2.50 for 6 x 330ml bottles in Lidl.

Be aware that they also do an alcohol version as well, and they are normally stacked next to each other.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I've had the Ghost Ship which is almost there but not quite.
It's still a bit of a "best of a bad bunch" situation, isn't it?

Jerry

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I've had the Ghost Ship which is almost there but not quite.
It's still a bit of a "best of a bad bunch" situation, isn't it?

Jerry
Sadly yes, I’ve tried a fairly wide range of alcohol free beers (including Ghost Ship, Big Drop, Brew Dog Nanny State) and they have all had a certain thinness to them. Some are more drinkable than others and I would say that Ghost Ship is one of the better options but for the large part I’ve yet to find a non alcoholic beer that is preferable to a pint of soda and lime.

Waitrose are currently doing a Big Drop beginners selection box of 8 beers some of which are ace. The pine trail pale ale is my favourite.

I have also started ordering from dry drinker. I got the belgian selection recently and whilst they were hit and miss the AF tripel I really enjoyed. The leave and hoegaardem ones less so.

I have found big drop pale ale and milk stout, shipyard low tide and piston head flat tyre to all be very drinkable.

Low tide is a current top.

Old speckled hen NA is pretty good. Lucky saint was my favorite lager one.

Also not .5% but 2% sainsburys used to carry a 2% bitter that was great for a low alcohol option. it was under the label depot no.90 the lager version is below and is not quite as good. Edit they are also very reasonably priced compared to other NAs

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Product/sainsburys-lager--basics-4x440ml

Another fan of big drop here. Their pale ale is good but stout is even better, probably because they can load it up with lactose to get a bit of body in there. I might have one tonight actually as need to drive later.

Big drop stout or this one from Sainsbury's is OK - I never reach for another one though.

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_175517.jpg
    IMG_20210711_175517.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 46
Back