Recommend me a low alcohol (1% or less) commercial brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try Shipyard Low Tide. I also think that Adnams Ghost Ship is a near miss.
But, what do you really need? If it's virtually no alcohol, then buy Ghost ship and stir in a good teaspoon of maltodextrin. Body increased, too much carbonation gone in one fell swoop!
But, if you only want low-alcohol beer (i.e. 2% to 3%) then buy Brewdog Hazy Jane and mix it with either Shipyard Low Tide or Punk AF.

Clausthaler is one of the best I've had

Hoegaarden 0.0% is decent perhaps a little on the fruity/sweet side but it's refreshing

Erdinger is good

Bavaria shandy ain't too bad

Not really keen on the low alcohol ales, always feels like there is something missing imo, but then I don't like "session ales" either.

Last edited:
Since alcohol forms part of the drinking experience - mouthfeel, aroma etc AF beers can never taste like their alcoholic brethren. If I'm the des on the night, I'll avoid them altogether and drink OJ and lemonade.

I have never found a low alcohol beer I like. In my experience they all lack something. And so my favourite drink when driving is the gin-less tonic. It also lacks something but it is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Also I find with a proper beer, the second tasts better than the first, the third better than the second and so on until I fall over and can't have another one. For some reason this never happens with low alcohol beer. 😉

I'm doing dry January at the moment (shudder) but have sneaked in a few 0.5%ers whilst in Tescos. Have to say they're a good way to cut down your drinking - you'll never reach for a second one and that's a fact.
I'm wondering though if you took a bottle of say Shipyard Low Tide and chucked in a shot of vodka would it actually taste of beer? I have doubts.

I drink a bit of Nanny State and Punk AF, which i think are really good for AF beers (and a good price when bough direct from Brewdog). There are lots of AF beers to try these days.

I've tried making my own low alchol beers by cold steeping the grains, worked well for mouthfeel, but needs more work to perfect as its tricky to get right. I aimed for a unit of alchol per pint (about 1.7% ABV).

I’ve had to lay off the booze for medical reasons and I’ve been drinking beer from Big Drop Brewing. They do a variety of styles and I really l like it. I order it direct from them but I’ve seen it in Sainsbury’s. Theres also an online store called The Dry Drinker which has all sorts of stuff.

In an attempt to cut down on midweek drinking I’ve tried a lot of alcohol free beers , never found a bitter I liked. of course they tasted “like something is missing”!
the one I did take to was the Paulaner 0% perhaps because it’s not a bitter it does have a sweetness that’s not out of place, a good head with it too,
I know some people ‘poo pop’ the idea of alcohol free beers, I think there is a place for them and I’m glad I eventually found one I like, it’s helped me cut down my beer consumption and I enjoy the weekend beer even more now.

I took the plunge and bought a Paulaner 0.0% to try.
It didn't tast like a weissbier at all which was disappointing although colour and head were good.
Taste was strongly malty, almost ovalteen like especially in the aftertaste.
Would I buy it again? No, it really wasn't that good but not actually unpleasant. I would see it as a malt drink and not a real beer.
Having said that it is probably the best no alcohol beer I have tried, sadly.

I took the plunge and bought a Paulaner 0.0% to try.
It didn't tast like a weissbier at all which was disappointing although colour and head were good.
Taste was strongly malty, almost ovalteen like especially in the aftertaste.
Would I buy it again? No, it really wasn't that good but not actually unpleasant. I would see it as a malt drink and not a real beer.
Having said that it is probably the best no alcohol beer I have tried, sadly.
I think the best way is not to build your hopes/ expectations up with any 0% beers . If you find one you like and it suites why you are drinking it happy days .

Back