Recommend me a stainless FV to go with my all-in-one!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muppix

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm looking to get into AG with the purchase of an all-in-one system, and I'd like to add an FV that connects straight to my system so that I can transfer the wort using the pump. I like the idea of eliminating plastic from my process and look forward to having some growth potential, like being able to ferment under pressure, control temperature, etc, but there's also the question of cost. This means that a Unitank is probably too much while a Brew Bucket likely isn't enough.

Have you been here? What did you end up with? What would you do different second time around?

I have had 2 brewbuckets for about 3-4 years now which are great but if I was to buy now I think I would go with something more suited to at least pressure transfers and probably with the option of pressure fermentation. Kegmenter looks really good. I am hoping to save up for a brewtools unitank when they get released, their equipment is fantastic but so is the prices....

I have had 2 brewbuckets for about 3-4 years now which are great but if I was to buy now I think I would go with something more suited to at least pressure transfers and probably with the option of pressure fermentation.

Makes sense, in fact I've just ordered a small brew bucket for my 10 litre experimental batches, and a new model Fermentasaurus for pressure transfer & ferment. Yeah, OK, so much for eliminating plastic from my process, but the Fermentasaurus is a fraction of the price of a Unitank so it seemed like a safe way of dipping a toe in. I also picked up a 14 lb bottle of CO2 from the local brewery, can't wait to get started.

I've been fermenting in a corny keg, and it's a good cheap way to get a SS pressure-capable fermenter - I cut an inch off the diptube and bought a spare lid which is now drilled for an airlock (or you can use a blowoff tube on the gas out post).

The only disadvantage is batch size, I've got a 23l keg and about 16l is as far as I can push it before having issues with headspace (not yet tried with an anti-foam additive though).

Oh, nice! Hadn't thought of that. This time of year you'll have no issues with cold-crashing too, right? 😉

I've wanted to try a kegging for a while but the cost of a new Corny has always put me off. (second-hand isn't an option - I'm weird like that) Knowing I can use it for fermenting too might just be enough to persuade me sooner ... 👍🏻

I use a reconditioned corny keg with spunding valve and floating dip tube.
The advantages of pressure fermenting are -
Keep the krausen down so you can do 17L in a 19L corny keg.
The beer will carbonate itself while fermeting, so ready to drink in 2 weeks or less.
The pressure stops off flavours if you ferment at higher temperatures, especially useful with lager.
You can serve from the fermenting keg.
You can do a closed transfer to a serving keg, so beer is not exposed to oxygen.
Easy to clean, robust, can be repurposed as a serving keg at a later date.
You can buy one for £55 from here.
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collection...ditioned-cornelius-keg?variant=32865066844241

I use a reconditioned corny keg with spunding valve and floating dip tube.

What sort of pressures do you ferment at?

I'm resisting the urge to bombard you with questions, of which I have many, including getting the CO2 hooked up, etc. Got myself a 14 lb bottle of gas and a pressure vessel on order, can't wait to start fiddling.

Last edited:
What sort of pressures do you ferment at?

I'm resisting the urge to bombard you with questions, of which I have many, including getting the CO2 hooked up, etc. Got myself a 14 lb bottle of gas and a pressure vessel on order, can't wait to start fiddling.

I use this pressure chart.
https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/If I do a lager ay warmer temperature I apply pressure from the start. Otherwise I just let it carbonate itself from 0 pressure, never had any issues yet with keg sealing itself.

That's very kind, thanks. I'm going to wait until the rest of my kit arrives, then I'll have a go at putting it all together according to instructions. Once I've gotten as far as I can I'll probably have a clearer idea of what I need to ask, and will be less likely to waste your time. 👍🏻

That's very kind, thanks. I'm going to wait until the rest of my kit arrives, then I'll have a go at putting it all together according to instructions. Once I've gotten as far as I can I'll probably have a clearer idea of what I need to ask, and will be less likely to waste your time. 👍🏻
Feel free to ask when you are ready 🙂

Just to add, you can buy a lot of kit which work fine with ball lock corny kegs from the Kegland Official Store on Ali Express.
I have found them cheap, reliable and delivered in two weeks to the UK.

Only one brew in on it so far, will be doing the second this weekend. It is a very solid item that unlike PET pressure fermenters will never break or need replacing (hopefully) its easy to clean with a 4 inch opening on the top, even with forearms like a shot putters thighs.

I stuck the inkbird sensor to the underside with a blob of plumbers putty and used a heat belt for heating. I also have some plans to look into a hop port using the tri clamp top at some point in the future.

As this is a replacement for my youngs brewing bucket which I got for my 21 birthday (44 this year) this new fermenter should comfortably see me out.

Only one brew in on it so far, will be doing the second this weekend. It is a very solid item that unlike PET pressure fermenters will never break or need replacing (hopefully) its easy to clean with a 4 inch opening on the top, even with forearms like a shot putters thighs.

I stuck the inkbird sensor to the underside with a blob of plumbers putty and used a heat belt for heating. I also have some plans to look into a hop port using the tri clamp top at some point in the future.

As this is a replacement for my youngs brewing bucket which I got for my 21 birthday (44 this year) this new fermenter should comfortably see me out.
Ideal for someone who does bigger batches.
I see you can buy a pressure fermenting kit for it too.
No reason why it would not last a lifetime.

Latest posts

Back