Recommendation for a better stirrer please???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootcutboy

Reaction score
Howdy all, I have a couple of those cheap bendy long white plastic spoons (about £2ea) that I use to stir my brews but I find them awkward and flimsy, so I think I would like to upgrade. What would people suggest as the next best thing, still need it to be cheap or reasonably priced, about £10 max hopefully please but could stretch to £15 if I will get something great that will last.

Many thanks, hope you’re all staying safe out there, home brewing is the absolute perfect hobby for a lockdown!!!

A stainless steel spoon, I got one for about £3 it is not quite as long as the white plastic spoons you are referring to but if you are only stirring the mash mine is long enough to reach the bottom failing that you can buy a stainless steel paddle from most brewing shops for under £15 which are longer

A stainless steel spoon, I got one for about £3 it is not quite as long as the white plastic spoons you are referring to but if you are only stirring the mash mine is long enough to reach the bottom failing that you can buy a stainless steel paddle from most brewing shops for under £15 which are longer
Ah ok, I thought I read somewhere that stainless steel and sanitiser don’t mix well, sure I read that it affects the metal??

I use starsan to sanitize which is ok with metal I think you may be getting confused with some of the cleaning products which are not suitable for stainless steel but a spoon you would just wash as any other product then santise before use however if you are using it for stirring hot wort you do not necassarily need to sanitise it just make sure it is clean as the heat of the wort would do it

1586328557733.png

This was on a French website for 19.95 euros. It's a Grainfather paddle (allegedly) and 60 cm long. Should be available in the UK, then for about 15 squids.

Back