Recommendation SE England.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for somewhere to stay in SE England next August. We fly into Gatwick and will be in the area for 4 days before going on a cruise from Dover. We will be hiring a car and intend to visit Legoland in Windsor and Diggerland to keep my young son happy. Don't want to stay in London but would like to be near a train station in case we decide to travel in for a day.
Don't want to randomly pick somewhere on a map in case it is unsuitable. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you want anything in particular from the area or just easy access to the things you mention? What in your view would make an area unsuitable?

Unsuitable would be in an industrial estate or beside major road. Would prefer village/small town where I could safely take young son for walk. Cafe restaurant maybe.

Assuming you want to stay somewhere central near Gatwick
Hotels - Depends what your budget is!
Trains - you need to stay near the main London to Brighton line for the best service if you want to travel into London. Three Bridges (3 miles S of Gatwick) is sort of centrally located and there are hotels in the area due to proximity to Gatwick
Places to go....
- 'seaside': lots to do in Brighton but a pebble beach, but go on the train, Eastbourne and Bognor a bit further, quieter but sandy beaches
- lots of NT places in the area
- Drusillas Zoo?
- Bluebell Railway
- Portsmouth further afield but stuff to see like the Mary Rose and HMS Victory

The sleepy hamlet of Peckham? (we have the hipster magnet of Franks bar, a bar on top of a car park - you can see for miles around)
I used to live on lordship land on the Peckham rye park end. Far from sleepy

Do you remember the bath shop by the the pub by the train station. The nags head? Just down from where hop burns and black is now I think (this was 10 years ago)

My wife tried to buy a bargain bath tub from the window. Until she was told the reason it was cheap was it had a bullet hole in it that came straight through the window #truestory.

I used to live on lordship land on the Peckham rye park end. Far from sleepy

Do you remember the bath shop by the the pub by the train station. The nags head? Just down from where hop burns and black is now I think (this was 10 years ago)

My wife tried to buy a bargain bath tub from the window. Until she was told the reason it was cheap was it had a bullet hole in it that came straight through the window #truestory.

Tbh, I dont recall the bath shop, but Im defianately not surprised about the bullet hole in the bath story. Hop, burns and black is still there (even though Ive never been in there). As is the nags head, Im sure the same mobility scooters are parked outside their now, as when you were stomping the area ten years ago :laugh8:

Edenbridge is a small town with a good train link to London, the only place you can stay in town is the crown which has recently been totally done up. Its very near Hever castle and you can have a pint with me in secret cask. It may not be for you but if your looking for a small semi rural town you could consider it.

The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway on the Kent coast... not far from Dover.

Given that you probably wouldn't want to do too much more travelling after your flight, I'd look at Brighton. It's a very short train ride from Gatwick and is one of the better UK 'seaside' towns, with plenty of charm and lots of restaurants and pubs etc. Your son will also have the beach and sea to play with in the unlikely event that the sun comes out! That said, it will be at its busiest in August, so you'd probably need to book early.

I'd definitely have a day in London (easy journey from Brighton) and then go to Canterbury, which takes you nearer to Dover. Canterbury is a beautiful city. Lots to see, including the cathedral.

Dover itself isn't much to write home about, but Dover Castle is well worth a look if you're into that sort of thing. In fact, there are a fair number of good castles in Kent - Leeds, Hever and Bodiam and some stately homes you can visit - Knole and Ightham Mote, for example.

As someone has already mentioned, the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is well worth a visit and your son would probably love it.

As an alternative, you could head to the North Kent coast. Whitstable is a lovely little place and you could make your way around the coast and down to Dover. Margate would have lots for your son to look at and Broadstairs, Sandwich and Deal are all really nice with some great beaches.

Given that you probably wouldn't want to do too much more travelling after your flight, I'd look at Brighton. It's a very short train ride from Gatwick and is one of the better UK 'seaside' towns, with plenty of charm and lots of restaurants and pubs etc. Your son will also have the beach and sea to play with in the unlikely event that the sun comes out! That said, it will be at its busiest in August, so you'd probably need to book early.

I'd definitely have a day in London (easy journey from Brighton) and then go to Canterbury, which takes you nearer to Dover. Canterbury is a beautiful city. Lots to see, including the cathedral.

Dover itself isn't much to write home about, but Dover Castle is well worth a look if you're into that sort of thing. In fact, there are a fair number of good castles in Kent - Leeds, Hever and Bodiam and some stately homes you can visit - Knole and Ightham Mote, for example.

As someone has already mentioned, the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is well worth a visit and your son would probably love it.

As an alternative, you could head to the North Kent coast. Whitstable is a lovely little place and you could make your way around the coast and down to Dover. Margate would have lots for your son to look at and Broadstairs, Sandwich and Deal are all really nice with some great beaches.

Thank you very much. Exactly the sort of info I am after. I have done London several times before so may avoid it this time. Brighton & Canterbury sounds like an interesting combination.

Back