Recommendations for a dark beer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John C

Reaction score
Hi all, my first attempt - a Wilko wheat beer has entered its final phase, that of getting drunk and has turned out respectably tasty. Next effort - I'd like to emulate a Hobgoblin or Old Peculier type - can anyone recommend any kit?

Try a Coopers Dark Ale made up with 1kg of medium spray malt and 200g of Demerara sugar to give it a bit of sweetness. I did this a few years ago and it was pretty tasty after about 3 months in the bottle.

I'vegot a John bull traditional ale with a coopers dark extract tin in the keg. It needs a bit longer but is turning out very acceptable. ..

I also tried the Coopers Dark Ale. Unlike Pavros I just used 1kg Muntons brew enhancer. The finished product was nice. Could have done with a bit more strength. Maybe from brewing to 20 litres rather than 23 and adding a bit more malt.

I have done the John Bull IPA kit twice now, goes great with a cascade dry hop. But use spray malt instead of sugar

Last edited:
Ooops!! Kevin makes a good point which I always forget to mention. I make up kits to 20l so I get 40 bottles at the end of the day. I also used all spray malt rather than the brew enhancer which is 50:50 malt and sugar.

Latest posts

Back