Recommendations for the next step up from a BrewZilla v3.1.1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Session

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a solution to address a couple of ‘ease of use’ issues with my BrewZilla 35L, and wondered if you lovely people could help me? My budget is £2k, but if I can get away with spending as little as possible on shiny things and put more of that into ingredients to brew with I would be very happy. I ferment in cornys, so typically only do a maximum of 18-20L batches. I would prefer an AIO as they take up less space than a three-vessel. I would only want to consider electric, not gas.

I feel my current system, a v3.1.1 BrewZilla, is great value for money, however having used it for a couple of years there are three areas which I would like to address in my next all-in-one unit. I’m not looking to make better beer here, I feel the BrewZilla v3.1.1 makes an excellent brew, but I’d like to refine a few areas:
  1. I hate tipping it up to clean it! I would really like to have a centrally-draining conical/dished bottom to enable easy cleaning at the end of a brew day, and particularly so I don’t need to lift anything.
  2. The controller is pretty basic. Due to this I really only use it in fully manual mode, and am starting to dislike having to lie down on the floor to change the temperature! Something with more bells and whistles would be nice, however I appreciate as with all electrical purchases a better version will inevitably be released about a month after I buy it.
  3. The malt pipe lets quite a lot of grain through unless I use aftermarket GrainFather silicone seals, which are a pain to fit (and keep fitted!). So I’d like something that used a different design.

Now, I know the sensible option would be to just get the new v4 BrewZilla, as it addresses literally every one of my complaints above… I just feel I’d like something a little more ‘premium’, you know?

For a while I was very interested in the Braumeister 20L, however from my reading it seems to lack a dished bottom plate, so I have mentally struck that one off my list. Have I been too hasty? How do you lucky buggers who own one of these beauties clean it?

Having previously owned a GrainFather G30 prior to upgrading to the BrewZilla, I felt the BrewZilla was comparable in build quality and better made/thought out in others (cam locks as standard, false bottom, bottom tap) whilst also being a much cheaper price. The controller is more basic, however after the absolute farce that was the GrainFather software in 2018 I was very happy with basic! I also felt I was paying more for the advertising budget and the GF brand than anything else, so I wouldn’t be very keen to go down the GF route again unless there is compelling reason to do so. I also now would like to have a more premium controller, but am a little reluctant to use GrainFather after the last debacle.

The BrewTools B40Pro looks lovely but… it strikes me as an unfinished, continually-evolving design. I would worry that there are issues that still need to be ironed out that are yet to be identified. My main dislike however is that they have added in an overflow pipe, which is something I was very glad to do away with on my BrewZilla. I would rather dough-in without an overflow pipe getting in the way. Not to mention all those lovely valves will need cleaning!

Is there anything obvious you guys and gals feel I have missed? Should I suck it up and just get the v4 BrewZilla after all? I would love to hear your thoughts, and am grateful to be able to benefit from the forum’s collective experience.

Last edited:
I'm only going to comment on number 1
Cleaning is a resultant chore of homebrew, fortunately there are lots of super cleaning and sanitisation products out there to help make a brewday more enjoyable.
Otherwise go the pub, I do both

Braumeisters are great and they would solve 2 of the 3 issues. They also are smaller than the brewzillas so tipping and cleaning is easier. They don't scorch like the brewzillas do either. However they also don't allow for brewing more than 6% beers very easily.

I have been looking at the G40s too, as a replacement for my brewzilla so I can make strong beers. Seems likes a nice option but I am assuming you need to tip to clean. I despised the g30 version. Cleaning that thing was a nightmare and the malt pipe was a pile of ****.

Edit the G40 doesn't have a spout so that is a deal breaker. Just ran across the S40 though that does and is 3 times cheaper.

Last edited:
I have an older BM 20 and find cleaning the heating coil a bit of a pain, but generally overall it only takes about 5 minutes. The new models have a drain tap for cleaning so it’s easier. I find it no problem brewing strong beer, I have a 7% IPA fermenting at the moment. I do however think they are over-priced compared to other options with recent price increases.

I'm only going to comment on number 1
Cleaning is a resultant chore of homebrew, fortunately there are lots of super cleaning and sanitisation products out there to help make a brewday more enjoyable.
Otherwise go the pub, I do both
Thanks Captain - I think you may have misunderstood my post. I very much appreciate cleaning is part of brewing, and am happy with ChemSan and ChemClean. The issue I have is that I don’t want to have to physically lift my brewer as I have managed to slip a disc, which is not the most fun I have had recently!

I have an older BM 20 and find cleaning the heating coil a bit of a pain, but generally overall it only takes about 5 minutes. The new models have a drain tap for cleaning so it’s easier. I find it no problem brewing strong beer, I have a 7% IPA fermenting at the moment. I do however think they are over-priced compared to other options with recent price increases.
Thanks Braumeister - I always wondered what those coils were like to clean. Is it just a case of getting a stiff brush/coil around the element?

I think it is worth looking at Grainfather again - the G40 is a very different beast from the G30, and although expensive, I am very happy with mine. It is not perfect (of course) but is light years ahead of the Brewzilla 3.1 I had before.
Good plan - I had mentally dismissed it due to the experience of my G30, but will take another look. It does deal with all my issues. Thanks for the nudge!

Braumeisters are great and they would solve 2 of the 3 issues. They also are smaller than the brewzillas so tipping and cleaning is easier. They don't scorch like the brewzillas do either. However they also don't allow for brewing more than 6% beers very easily.

I have been looking at the G40s too, as a replacement for my brewzilla so I can make strong beers. Seems likes a nice option but I am assuming you need to tip to clean. I despised the g30 version. Cleaning that thing was a nightmare and the malt pipe was a pile of ****.

Edit the G40 doesn't have a spout so that is a deal breaker. Just ran across the S40 though that does and is 3 times cheaper.
Hey @Pennine, I agree - the lack of bottom tap is a concern in case the pump inlet blocks. Otherwise it looks like a nice bit of kit. It just seems rather pricey!

I have a G40 and it sounds like it would address all your issues. It is beautifully made, has clean-in-place (no need to tip it up), excellent controller, effective malt basket, does have a bottom tap (well OK a place for you to fit one) - I am really very happy with it. There are probably lots of other good AIO devices but I can't comment as I haven't used them. But I can say the G40 is a great system.

Thanks Braumeister - I always wondered what those coils were like to clean. Is it just a case of getting a stiff brush/coil around the element?
Yes that would work, I just use a cloth, it’s just that the coil is quite close to the sides, which makes it difficult to get in between. I also find tilting it awkward but it’s not too heavy. You have to unscrew the pump underneath too to clean that bit. I haven’t used the new one but I would expect suspect cleaning is pretty easy though really with the new drain tap model, even if it’s still a flat bottom. I think the pump might have changed for easier cleaning too. Obviously you’ve got to lift the malt pipe out after the mash and that’s a bit awkward too - in general brewing seems to be a bit hard on your back. Lugging a 20l fermenter across the room certainly does my dodgy back no favours!

I'm using the B40 without the malt pipe extension and have zero issues. Have been using it for about 6months now and really enjoy the kit. I particularly like that it requires no hose changes throughout the brew. The cleaning is dead easy too, just recirculate your cleaner for a few minutes and open/close each valve in turn a few times. I don't disassemble it all between brews other then taking the hoses off to dry and have no issues with dirt/mould build up anywhere.

The B40 is really well made and so are the add on's you can get. While they are constantly adding new accessories the B40 itself has not changed much(if at all) in the last few years. The real beauty of it is you can customise it as much or as little as you want. PortlyGentlemen on Youtube has some great videos on BrewTools gear, well worth checking out.

I'm using the B40 without the malt pipe extension and have zero issues. Have been using it for about 6months now and really enjoy the kit. I particularly like that it requires no hose changes throughout the brew. The cleaning is dead easy too, just recirculate your cleaner for a few minutes and open/close each valve in turn a few times. I don't disassemble it all between brews other then taking the hoses off to dry and have no issues with dirt/mould build up anywhere.

The B40 is really well made and so are the add on's you can get. While they are constantly adding new accessories the B40 itself has not changed much(if at all) in the last few years. The real beauty of it is you can customise it as much or as little as you want. PortlyGentlemen on Youtube has some great videos on BrewTools gear, well worth checking out.
Thank you @Cathal Ill take a look!

I'm having similar thoughts regarding upgrading the brewzilla. I would like a little extra capacity for split batches and the extra power when just doing single batches for a slightly quicker brew day .
I would only get the new brewzilla if I could get the 65l version. I like the G40 with the extra power, bigger capacity. Also like the new pump/ hop filter design on G40, not bothered about the controller. Brew tools I like but seems a little pricey and although I don't doubt it's good quality not sure I like it enough over cost of G40.
Had looked at putting something together with a standalone controller,70l kettle,pump 3500watt element and grain basket for similar cost to G40🤷🏾

It does. There is a drain hole which you can easily fit a ball valve tap to. (I assume that is what you mean by spout)
Yes I meant tap, good to hear it has a hole for one. What does one do with the hole if a tap is not available?

I’ve had my braumeister 5 years now and love it.

Pros.

Solid bit of kit that as after over 100 brews is as good as day one

Plenty of spares and replacement parts out there but I haven’t needed to eace anything at all thus far.

Very user friendly and easy on the eye.

Cons. Cleaning the heating coil is easy with a soak but if you mash in at around 40c it’s a bit more messy.

I find 4.5 kg is the sweet spot. Above 5kg the pump struggles a bit. That’s my only real gripe. Today’s brew was 5.5kg and after 5 mins into mash the temp at the bottom was 69c whilst at the top was 59c. Sorted itself out by 10mins.

Anoth plus It also holds its value. If you sell after 5 years you’d get most of your cash back

I love it but there is much more completion about now so it sure how it compares but I certainly have no regrets.

Interesting thread.
I have a BZ 3.1.1 and it's the only device I've ever used (23 brews to date). I've contemplated upgrading since my techniques have improved a lot over the last year, and I thought maybe a less budget device would be, well, better...?
I paid $NZ500 for it, ~ £260 as a deal at a beer festival...

Prices here are approximately:
Brewzilla Gen 3.1.1 $NZ600 (£310)
Brewzilla Gen 4 $NZ1000 (£515)
Grainfather G40 $NZ1600 (£825)
Braumeister 20l $NZ3000 (£1550)

So a big difference considering I have no issues with my unit. I find it easy to clean (if you can lift a malt pipe you can upend a kettle easily enough), usually use it in manual, and have no malt pipe/grain issues, plus I have worked out any foibles like actual mash temps, and parts are very cheap (I have spare pump silicon tubes etc just in case).

So I'm staying put. I'd rather spend the money on other brew gadgets and carry on. (probably just not experienced enough to understand what other systems offer) 🙂
I have however bought the boiler extension giving me an extra 12 litres for the odd big grain bill brew as a concession ($NZ 70)...

Really interested in seeing what other devices offer though. Do some of them really have an exposed heating element at the bottom of the kettle? Seems a real faff to clean around...

Latest posts

Back