Recommended Hop Combinations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have only used hops once (when dry hoping in my last brew a Wilko IPA). To my taste it was a success but Id like to experiment with different kinds. The ones I used were Citra & Cascade.
Any other combinations recommended?

The possibilities are endless! If you're looking for an America IPA type of flavour there are the "3 Cs" - three (or more) of the following: cascade, columbus, centennial, chinook, citra, simcoe (not C but gets lumped in that category). I really like a mix of Columbus, Cent, Chinook. How hoppy do you like your beers?

The possibilities are endless! If you're looking for an America IPA type of flavour there are the "3 Cs" - three (or more) of the following: cascade, columbus, centennial, chinook, citra, simcoe (not C but gets lumped in that category). I really like a mix of Columbus, Cent, Chinook. How hoppy do you like your beers?

You could throw Galaxy hops in there too.. You cannot go wrong with all the above

This is one of those questions where you won't get the same answer twice...believe me I've searched for similar answers.
What style of beer are you looking to make next? Are there any commercial beers that you really like and can look up what hops they use?

I've just bottled a Simcoe and Amarillo; the test jar tasted amazing and very summery. Defo gonna keep it for the 4 days we get this July to sup in the garden with my feet in the paddling pool!
:beer6:

All these flashy US hops are all well and good, but for me you can't beat Target and Challenger. Makes me go all maudlin for those heady days in the local WMC, circa 1982.

I've bought four packs of new to me hops. I've had them in commercial beers but never brewed with them. I have some fairly bland stuff I want rid of so I'm going to make some hop teas with the new hops to add to that beer as I drink it.
I'll do all single hops then maybe starting combining them to get a feel for how they taste alone and together.

The weather has been quite mild so haven't had a chance to get her to get me a new cafetiere yet though - @Dutto

All these flashy US hops are all well and good, but for me you can't beat Target and Challenger. Makes me go all maudlin for those heady days in the local WMC, circa 1982.

Target? Challenger?:wave:Two flashy modern UK hops that they found in hedgerows and developed in the hope that they would replace the quintessential hop used in real British beers; East Kent Goldings!:thumb:EKG is the beer hop!:gulp:BTW for a few moments I thought Women's Institute? What "heady days" could he possibly have had there in 1982? Old age I guess!:thumb:

Target? Challenger?:wave:Two flashy modern UK hops that they found in hedgerows and developed in the hope that they would replace the quintessential hop used in real British beers; East Kent Goldings!:thumb:EKG is the beer hop!:gulp:BTW for a few moments I thought Women's Institute? What "heady days" could he possibly have had there in 1982? Old age I guess!:thumb:

Especially when paired with Fuggles.... :beer1: I'm rather a fan of the new kid on the block, Endeavour, too. Only used it on it's own to date, but planning to try it with Fuggles in a bitter at some point. Or, better yet, WITH both Fuggles AND EKG.....:beer6:

I do like that hint of honey you get from EKG for sure though.:bow:

Citra and Simcoe is my favourite combo.

Although my favourite beer recently is my APA which is Falconers Flight (I know, it’s a blend of hops) through the boil and at flameout, with Simcoe at flameout and dry hop.

I "get" adding a hop tea to the fv before bottling but what's the method for adding to beer that's already bottled and carbonated?
You make up a hop tea and then use a syringe or squeezy bottle or spoon to dose each beer as you drink it. I've done it and some hops taste a lot like they do when you use them normally, some really don't and are astringent or like really bad tea even if you've made them at 64c.

Galaxy really worked well, can't remember what was bad.

I "get" adding a hop tea to the fv before bottling but what's the method for adding to beer that's already bottled and carbonated?
you could as mentioned by drunkula, but you'd need to keep the tea in the fridge for the duration of your batch of bottles. I'd wager its too much of a faff to do if already bottled. perhaps its easier to add hop tea to a keg?

Back