Recommended Hop Combinations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just going to put 50ml or so, adjust as required, in to each glass.

They call it hop bombs I think. Someone posted a video link on another thread a few days ago.

Ok, so you guys know I've dredged up an old thread, but forgive me, I'm all for recycling thumb

Tasting my Lakeland Ale tonight with its combination of Challenger and First Gold, there's all sorts going on there. Hit by the orangey-honeyness of the First Gold before the Challenger grabs you by the balls ashock1. It's looking good so far. I wonder what'll happen as these hops mellow out?

For all that EKG is beloved by many, all batches where I've used EKG have turned out rather 'meh'. Maybe it is my dubious use of Summit for bittering that has given that plasticky taste.

Is it possible for certain combinations of hops to react badly or unpredictably with each other?

Guys, could you have a look, thinking of a pale hoppy beer, would you combine any 2 of those (late addition hops) - Mosaic and Simcoe - do they go together well?

hops.png

Yes they do but be careful with the mosaic as it can overpower the Simcoe which is a more subtle flavour but they do go together. If you want a really strong flavour use Mosaic as the dominant hop or a milder smoother flavour use more of the Simcoe

@the_quick As your looking at late hops for aroma, alpha acids aren't as important.
Lots of German good there, so -
Greg Hughes pairs Saaz and Tettnang in his Kölsch recipe.

I tried to clone an ESB despite the tasting notes saying Galaxy was in the mix it just didn't come through. I could taste the EKG but wanted to know the bittering hop, used Target and got myself a beer which was pretty close. Made another batch using Challenger and EKG, not quite the intense bitterness. Finally got to meet the head brewer despite thinking he will tell me bugger all, not only did he tell me the percentages of the hops he gave me two bags of hops.
Their bittering hop was Super Pride and if that's not available Ella along with three charges of EKG. So for now I would still stick to Target, EKG for two hops which pair well but I will be using the Ella he gave me. Obviously not for AIPA's

Yes they do but be careful with the mosaic as it can overpower the Simcoe which is a more subtle flavour but they do go together. If you want a really strong flavour use Mosaic as the dominant hop or a milder smoother flavour use more of the Simcoe
Mosiac Simcoe go great together. I agree mosiac is a dominant hop but it's great, its my most used hop for a hop forward brew. My last brew it was paired with el Dorado.
Next up I am trying sabro and cashmere for the first time. Not sure on percentages yet. Might add centennial as well

@the_quick As your looking at late hops for aroma, alpha acids aren't as important.
Lots of German good there, so -
Greg Hughes pairs Saaz and Tettnang in his Kölsch recipe.
That's actually why I can on this thread. Ordered stuff for a kolsch recently and the GH recipe I have is Spalt Select and Tettnang. As I couldnt get Spalt I substituted Saaz. Reading what you have wrote, I now have confidence I havent made an **** of it!

It'll be fine I have just used Spalt in a Kolsch which was kegged 2 days ago I would have used Saaz too

That's actually why I can on this thread. Ordered stuff for a kolsch recently and the GH recipe I have is Spalt Select and Tettnang. As I couldnt get Spalt I substituted Saaz. Reading what you have wrote, I now have confidence I havent made an a**e of it!
You're right about the Spalt Select. I must have substituted Saaz the first time I brewed that recipe and used it again each time after without realising.

The slightly floral Tettnang goes well with the earthy Saaz and mildly fruity Kölsch yeast. It conditions out well.

Just checked my recipe and it's a real mix of Noble hops for 23.5L batch:
20g Hersbrucker @ 60min
24g Tettnang @ 60min
23g Saaz @ 5min
43g Tettnang @ 0min

This keeps overall amounts and timings v. similar but changes the hop selection from GH recipe.

Latest posts

Back