Recommended hop pair

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all I have 100g each of the following
Ekg
Magnum
Chinook
Citra
I know citra and ekg can make nice tasty beer
Just wondering did anyone else make a beer from citra and chinook or magnum

Hi all I have 100g each of the following
Ekg
Magnum
Chinook
Citra
I know citra and ekg can make nice tasty beer
Just wondering did anyone else make a beer from citra and chinook or magnum
You won't know until you try.
This is what I did, but hop combinations can be a personal thing - a bit like your secret blend of herbs & spices 😄

I used my 100g of magnum exclusively as the bittering hop for a few brews. With ekg/progress and cascade for flavour/aroma.

Chinook I used as both bittering & flavour, but not for late addition.

But then I don't want my beer tasting of oranges & lemons & have a definite preference for traditional EKG (having been born in that part of the world)

I recently made one with Citra, Chinook and Cascade - think it came out as a very nice combination. I find it dominated by Citra and Chinook, so Cascade is less noticeable. I guess it will probably have very similar flavour with only Citra and Chinook.

Chinook and Citra in a IPA a well known match
EKG with Magnum but the magnum is virtually a neutral bittering hop so that what I would use it as.
A lot of English styles(EKG) do benefit from a little American hop for fruitiness Citra or other typical American hops

So I just went for
4.25kg maris otter
15g magnum
15 g chinook 60 min
15g citra
15g ekg 30 min
10g magnum
10g chinook 15 min
10g citra
10g ekg 5 min
And now in the process of doing the exact same only swapping around the hops citra and ekg first magnum chinook 2nd
Never know could be a tasty beer safale us,05 yeast on both

Latest posts

Back